• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Opening Screen"... not homescreen...

thanks Dan. No, it's not the homescreen. I have a homescreen that (I suppose) looks like everyone else's i.e. customised with preferred background, favourite apps, and a widget telling me the weather forecast. Of course have apps screens, and widget screens, again, like everyone else.

When I start up, I don't go straight to the homescreen. I'd like to! I end up in a sort of halfway place, with the preferred background and just 4 unmovable widgets. I then have to actually select homescreen.

It's not the end of the world, just a bit annoying and I cannot seem to get rid of it.

Upvote 0
so.. let me repeat what i think you said...

you wake up the N7...
slide the unlock widget to get past the lockscreen or put in the unlock code.
from here.. my N7 goes straight to the homescreen.
but on yours.. it goes to another pre-home / post unlock screen. and you have to select the homescreen to get there.

sounds to me that you might have loaded/installed some kind of app that gave this 2nd lockscreen.

go to your app manager in settings.. and go over all the "installed" apps.
see which might have this in it. something like "widget locker".
you can uninstall it.. and see if it goes away.

Reactions: chrisnewcastle
Upvote 0
Are you talking about start-up after putting it to sleep or start-up after powering it off? Because I think this is normal behavior for start-up after putting the N7 to sleep. It is for mine. .

After I put my N7 to sleep by tapping on the power button, when I wake it up, first it goes to the lock screen, then after I enter my code it goes back to whatever screen it was on before I put it to sleep. This could be one of the other screens or an app. It does not automatically go back to the home screen.

But this is different if I completely power it off. If I do that, then my N7 does return to the home screen when it starts up.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the suggestions. Still do not have a fix. Tried John's idea, no success. Even did a full reset, painful but had to try (quite new purchase anyway so not too many apps etc)... STILL no joy.

To answer Netcat... This screen I refer to is there every time I have to use the power on button, sleep or full power off. I power on and unlock... Screen with 4 widgets appears... I go to homescreen by pressing home button. Does not go there automatically.

So now I probably just have to ignore it. The screen adds nothing of value but I can ignore it and just accept I have one more keystroke than everyone else!

Unless anyone else knows different...

Upvote 0
here you go. Not aware I've set any of this up. It's just... there. After unlock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-10-09-03-11.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-10-09-03-11.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
I have no idea what it is, but I have something similar on a different Android device. I have an Archos internet radio that is basically just an Android box with Tune-in radio in a tabletop box, and it has exactly the same sort of intermediate screen with some fixed fixed widgets whenever it is turned on and needing a press of the home button to get the real home screen.

It doesn't bother me but I did have a look and found no obvious way to disable it. I haven't seen anything like this on my Nexus 7 but there's certainly a strong similarity in behaviour between what you see on your Nexis 7 and what I see on my Archos. My guess is it's a side effect of some app you have installed, or perhaps a setting in one of the many Google apps.

Upvote 0
not sure I understand, Don.

From hitting the power on button, I get:

1) a clock with a lock icon below it
2) swiping right, I get a small square box with a + in it; I hit the + and unlock the device. Not using a signin right now
3) I then see this "widget screen" with the 4 widgets as described. Cannot seem to do anything with it, except activate one of the widgets if I wanted to. Or ignore it, as I am doing.
4) I hit home screen icon and get to the usual home screen with a few apps I've added. All apps & widgets are located as usual.

That's it. Step 3 seems to be the additional step here.

I have noticed that if I activate one of the 4 widgets, it places it on the lock screen display. So that after power on, I would have to swipe multiple times before getting to the +

But really, I'm not interested in that and not interested in having a screen with 4 widgets (all these widgets are already in the "proper" widgets section anyway).

Upvote 0
From hitting the power on button, I get:

1) a clock with a lock icon below it
2) swiping right, I get a small square box with a + in it; I hit the + and unlock the device. Not using a signin right now
3) I then see this "widget screen" with the 4 widgets as described. Cannot seem to do anything with it, except activate one of the widgets if I wanted to. Or ignore it, as I am doing.
4) I hit home screen icon and get to the usual home screen with a few apps I've added. All apps & widgets are located as usual.

That's it. Step 3 seems to be the additional step here.

I have noticed that if I activate one of the 4 widgets, it places it on the lock screen display. So that after power on, I would have to swipe multiple times before getting to the +

But really, I'm not interested in that and not interested in having a screen with 4 widgets (all these widgets are already in the "proper" widgets section anyway).

Forgive me for asking a potentially stupid question, but when you "swipe right" to unlock, where are you starting your swipe? Are you touching the padlock icon, or starting from the edge of the screen?
The square box with the plus sign is the "lock screen new widgit area", and tapping the plus sign brings up the screen where you choose a new lock screen widget to add. If you hit home from this screen, it does skip the widget adding process and take you home.

However- and this is the important part- back on the initial lock screen, if you tap the padlock and drag it to the edge of the circle (rather than doing a full swipe starting from the edge), it should unlock the tablet without prompting you to add a new lock screen widget.
Now, if you're already trying to unlock by dragging the lock icon and you're still getting the Add Widget screen, then I'd say there is something wrong with your device.

Upvote 0
Kiefer & tweak4... YOU GOT IT! I did not realise I had to drag the lock to the edge of the circle. I just swiped the clock widget right and clicked on the big + and got in that way. So yes, it seems I ended up on lock screen new widget area.

I suppose I took this route because I had not yet set up a password. I thought the lock was to be used when unlocking with a password.

It seems obvious now. And yet... I see no mention of dragging the lock to the edge of the circle in the pathetically brief quick start guide nor the download instructions.

So, 2 things more:
1 thanks to EVERYONE who tried to help even if the suggestion didn't work
2 anyone... How did you KNOW that you needed to drag to the edge of the circle?? Where did it explain that? That's gonna bug me till I find out.

What a great forum... :)

Cheers! Chris

Upvote 0
I understand your point Dan, though clearly it was not natural to me. Folks on here are keen, interested, experts in many cases. Google/Asus/whoever sell their devices to anyone & everyone and should not assume everyone instinctively knows to grab the padlock, swipe to the edge of the circle till the padlock changes shape/unlocks. They issue a 130+ page guidebook with a load of superfluous stuff, but surprisingly (imo) there's no mention of this.

Live & learn...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones