• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Openly Hostile Rant to Android Developers on Apps that Won't Shut Off or Stay Shut Off

Just to explain a bit about what those apps are really doing when they look like they are turning themselves on all the time:

The Android OS has a list of "events" (called Intents) that it broadcasts when various things happen (such as Wi-Fi being enabled).

Apps are then allowed to "register" what's called a Broadcast Receiver to "listen" for the events.

When I say "listen" though, it's only in the metphorical sense, they dont do anything to actively listen or run. Instead, what happens is the Android OS will send out the event (called an Intent), and it will check a list of apps that have said they would like to be "woken up" and notified when that event occurs.

So in the example used above with doubleTwist, what is likely happening is that it registered for the WiFi-enabled Intent and is being woken up whenever your WiFi connects or re-connects.

This might seem like it could really use up resources, but in reality it doesnt. BroadcastReceivers are very simple tiny peices of code.

Going back to our doubleTwist example, what the code might look like:

Code:
if (WiFi==true)
{
  checkToSeeIfMusicNeedsSyncing();
}
else
{
//shutdown
return;
}
And that's it. It would use probably something like 0.00001% of your battery.

But the features it enables, are almost limitless. It gives apps very good ways to help the user automate things, help be polite to a user and not use up their 3G connection, and so on and so fourth.

Now of course not all apps are polite, and the way Dalvik handles processes, threads and services can be pretty complicated for any non-programmer to follow. However, hopefully this explanation will at least shed some light on Broadcast Recievers.

Anyways, it might be time to add a new guide to my list and I'll see if I can explain all those things in simple terms.

The basic components are:
-Activities
-Services
-BroadcastRecivers
-Intents
-Processes
-Threads

And while 99% of the time a task killer will do more harm than good (especially in Froyo and above), I will admit that Google made a serious error with regards to user experience (UX) design in explaining this. From a new user perspective, it looks as if all apps are all behaving badly all the time (hence why we get these posts). While in reality, badly behaved apps are actually few and far between. But it can be hard to tell the difference.

Also a good thing for new users to be pointed towards is the "what's been using the battery" feature in Android.

Home > Settings > About Phone > Battery use

anyways, hth.

Upvote 0
Most running processes don't use up battery life. They don't use CPU cycles. Good god, people are thick.
I feel compelled to be "thick". When my Samsung Droid Charge running Gingerbread reports that an app I am NOT running (but quit - Pandora for example), is taking 5% of my battery and has been doing so for several hours, doesn't that mean it is "running" when it shouldn't be? I don't understand but it seems to me that if an app is using battery, it is also using CPU cycles - what don't I understand?
Thanks.
Madeline

Upvote 0
I feel compelled to be "thick". When my Samsung Droid Charge running Gingerbread reports that an app I am NOT running (but quit - Pandora for example), is taking 5% of my battery and has been doing so for several hours, doesn't that mean it is "running" when it shouldn't be? I don't understand but it seems to me that if an app is using battery, it is also using CPU cycles - what don't I understand?
Thanks.
Madeline

Depends on where you look at it. I would assume that you were looking at the stock feature to see what apps are using up battery? Because if that shows Pandora as 5%, it doesn't mean that it is using up 5% of your battery. It means that it contributed to 5% of the used battery charge. For example, you see Pandora listed there as 10%, but you have only used up 20% of your total battery. That means Pandora used up 10% of the total battery used (equivalent to 2% of total battery used).

Upvote 0
Some apps do not have an exit button. If you only use the app maybe twice a month, that's rather egotistical to think that the app is that important.

There was a rather nice article written by someone from another Android forum about memory usage and task killers.

A reply to this noted that apps with large databases can cause problems with memory. I do have quite a few apps with large databases. Audubon for one, and astronomy for the other. I've noticed that they don't stop when exited at times. They don't get used like a messaging service or email does.

What's the sequence? for memory usage? I'm assuming the first thing Android will protect is system, then Google apps, after that, what?

I'd like to know as there are more apps in astronomy and nature guides I would like to buy. They all have huge databases.

I do use the task manager if I'm going to delete the app. Clear out data, force stop, and uninstall.

Upvote 0
Dude has no clue how Android works.

Android is not Windows. It will load the most used apps before you even call them, so they load up instantly when you open them.

They aren't using any battery at all, because they're frozen.

Task killers are evil, they do more harm then good.

I don't know who told you that they don't take battery, you probably think that they don't use any of the memory either!
Well ... I've read paragraphs on the subject from both sides. The ones that use killers and the ones that don't like abortions hahahahaha.
Let me tell you one thing ... when I did kill apps I could use some of the apps that without the use of the killers they would crash!
But that's only MY opinion.

Upvote 0
I don't know who told you that they don't take battery, you probably think that they don't use any of the memory either!
Well ... I've read paragraphs on the subject from both sides. The ones that use killers and the ones that don't like abortions hahahahaha.
Let me tell you one thing ... when I did kill apps I could use some of the apps that without the use of the killers they would crash!
But that's only MY opinion.
They don't use any battery, because they're in a frozen state.

RAM is made to be used. Free ram = bad

And Android has it's own task killer, for emergency cases.

Upvote 0
What's the sequence? for memory usage? I'm assuming the first thing Android will protect is system, then Google apps, after that, what?

Somebody with hands-on experience of writing Android apps, like alostpacket, will know for sure, but from memory it works the opposite way i.e. starts with the least-needed things like services with no running processes, then those with idle processes that aren't likely to be restarted, and so on.

Upvote 0
I hope Alostpacket will chime in - that sounds awfully inefficient. It sounds like Audubon Birds would take precedence over messenging, and operating bits needed to get the phone to work.

I would like to find this out - if I have to start hunting for a new phone/tablet I'd rather have this info than how many themes and games it will run. I'd want the most efficient, not the sexiest.

Upvote 0
Maybe you should read up on how Android actually works before you post a worthless rant.

The OP has a point though. Not everyone who owns a phone wants to become knowledgeable about its OS, just as most worker drones out there don't give a rat's a$$ about their Windows PC. All they wanna do is get stuff done. When I close my Excel app on my desktop, it CLOSES.

Android apps ought, unless they require background presence for some valid reason, have some option to automatically close completely when not being used. Personally, I find the "come back in where you left off" thing cumbersome in more instances than not. For example: when opening a Web browser, why must I see the page I last saw 6 hours ago? Why can't it start fresh... and not consume memory in the background for those six hours?

Upvote 0
Actually, normal people wont even notice this happens until they start tinkering with task killer apps the idiots at cellphone shops keep pushing at them when they are buying their phones.

Not sure about that. I did a bit of a clean-up the past 24 hours, going through all my apps and emptying caches and closing etc. Phone sped up significantly. Yesterday it took like three minutes to boot; today, that was closer to 40 seconds.

RAM is dynamic. Sometimes an app needs only a few KB, other times it needs lotsa space to run properly. It can't have that if other apps are sitting in that space.

Upvote 0
They will run though, as the OS will clear out other unused apps to make room. And version by version, Android has been improved on memory usage. It may have warranted task killers in the past, but that need really died off around Gingerbread, janky apps notwithstanding. For those suspecting they have apps tying up their cpu (which is what causes lag, not RAM issues), there's always Watchdog Task Manager. It has user configurable profiles to alert you to when an app has crossed a threshold, with the option to kill it (at least in the pro version). This way, if there is an app that needs to be smacked down, you can target that one app without nuking the rest (which taxes your hardware to reopen, which burns battery).

Upvote 0
Most running processes don't use up battery life. They don't use CPU cycles. Good god, people are thick.

I found an LG phone's built-in useless Facebook app was certainly draining the battery in background. What was apparently happening the phone was online via 3G and the Facebook app was constantly trying to ping Facebook, which is not there, and it wouldn't take no for an answer. Only way I found to solve this was to root the phone and change the ROM.

Upvote 0
I found an LG phone's built-in useless Facebook app was certainly draining the battery in background. What was apparently happening the phone was online via 3G and the Facebook app was constantly trying to ping Facebook, which is not there, and it wouldn't take no for an answer. Only way I found to solve this was to root the phone and change the ROM.
FB searching had TMO customers in an uproar about data usage. FB apparently isn't carrier, either. I bought 2 unlocked European phones, FB was included on both. One was Android, one was Symbian.

You can get a free app for FB - it doesn't need to be included on phone.
If you download from Market, you can at least check the permissions.
You can't do that if FB is built in.

I've also had apps that came with the phone turn on - and these apps needed registration to use them. I never registered, so app should not have run.

Upvote 0
I have a different phone (samsung droid) and would like to share one of my issues and see if any of you have experienced this.
Plug in and charge your phone before you go to bed, turn it off and unplug it, in the morning try and turn it on. Mine was dead, and its not very old ( almost 1 year) Im an electronics tech and know all about batteries and how to charge them for optimal capability.
This is what Ive experienced just last night. I charged my phone (1 yr old droid) completely and then turned it off and unplugged it, woke up this morning and it was completly dead. Charged it and it lasts all day.
Anyone experience this?
My conclusion is either I have a horrible battery (which I seriously dought since it works normally when charged stays all day depending on use) or my apps are using my juice as I sleep without the phone being on.
I suspect this is the reason because why would they put in the permissions of most apps now, that they can access the internet and all of my data, phone lists, posting to the internet on my behalf and even over write any of my info or programs. It makes me really suspiscious of what the hell is going on when Im not using my phone.
Try this yourself, especially if you have a bunch of apps.
Most people do like I have for the last several years, they leave their phone plugged in overnight ( I know I did for years with no notice of battery issues, even now) So why was my phone dead in the morning when it was turned off???
APPS!!
SO now Im gonna clean my phone of apps that require any admin access to my personal info, internet, phone features like my camera or audio or allowed to overwrite my info , post on my behalf, or even power on if turned off.
No app needs to access my passwords, personal info contacts, data and certainly dont need full access to the internet camera or audio when the phone is off!
I really suspect something aweful is happening here without our knowledge.
Any ones insight would be appreciated here, especially anyone willing to experiment with me to find out the real issue be it battery or juice theft by app

Upvote 0
Well, there are some apps that keep turning on in my Moto Droid. Frankly, some of them I want off forever. There is no reason for them to be using the memory in my phone. Such as that stupid gallery. Or the corporate calendar. They don't need to be there at all. With all the stupid things using memory that turn them selves on, it slows my phone down when I use the apps I want to use. If I want the things running, I can turn them on.

And for preinstalled apps, if I could remove many of them that just are useless or I don't want, then I could put on apps I do want.

Freeze them using Titanium Backup.

Upvote 0
What would help is a notice about exiting. Quickweather, Mobile Observatory and a couple of others tell you that pushing the back button again will exit. Others like Pocket Money and Boat Browser actually have an exit choice. If these apps use data consistently while open, a notice that back actually closes them would help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones