• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opera Mini 6

erwaso

Mar 5, 2011
CO
Opera mini 5 was the best browser on my BB's. so far 6 on my Aria with 2.2 works well. Just a few things.

pros
loads faster than stock browser
easier/faster pinch zoom

cons
sometimes does not load after tapping link
tapping not as sensitive as stock browser
when posting, it reloads screen after typing before u can hit post button

still not sure if it uses less data. this would benefit those on a 200mb data plan like myself.

anyone else using it? or is there a better one?

That is the reason I stopped using Opera Mini. I used version 5 before. It was fast, but it was annoying when trying to post to message boards because it would reload and I would lose what I entered.

Opera Mobile 11 has just been released as well. I haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to support Flash as well. I plan to try it out later.

Upvote 0
Opera mini 5 was the best browser on my BB's. so far 6 on my Aria with 2.2 works well. Just a few things.

pros
easier/faster pinch zoom

cons

still not sure if it uses less data. this would benefit those on a 200mb data plan like myself.

Mini is great if you have a small data plan. Opera mini's servers compress the website before it gets to your phone.

Sometimes when I post, I stop the reload and do a copy all of my post, then hit the back key to reactivate the reload and then click submit. And if the post doesn't take, I just paste my saved post and try again. A little bit of a PITA, but I love the speed of Mini too much to give Mini up.

Upvote 0
I decided to try out other browsers, and have used dolphin and most recently xscope. I like xscope for its speed and it has pinch to zoom and flash.

I downloaded opera mini today, version 6, great speed but it doesn't have pinch to zoom nor flash that I can see. Is that in version 11? What is the difference between the two versions?

Upvote 0
I downloaded opera mini today, version 6, great speed but it doesn't have pinch to zoom nor flash that I can see. Is that in version 11? What is the difference between the two versions?

There are two browsers from Opera. One is Opera Mini. This version is faster because you browse through Opera's servers and the servers compress the data before sending it to your phone. It also has fewer features.

The other is Opera Mobile. (Don't get confused with Mobile and Mini.) This version is a full browser for phones like Dolphin or the stock Android browser. It has more features and one of the features is Flash support.

Reactions: mc48
Upvote 0
There are two browsers from Opera. One is Opera Mini. This version is faster because you browse through Opera's servers and the servers compress the data before sending it to your phone. It also has fewer features.

The other is Opera Mobile. (Don't get confused with Mobile and Mini.) This version is a full browser for phones like Dolphin or the stock Android browser. It has more features and one of the features is Flash support.

ok thanks I think I understand. I downloaded both and did love how fast mini was but wouldn't want to do without pinch to zoom or flash. And opera mobile, although I did like the interface a bit more, I don't see where it was any faster than Xscope...actually a bit slower imo... so I think I continue to use Xscope. (And Opera Mobile takes up a ungodly 23.25 mb of memory as opposed to 1.91 mb for Xscope).

Upvote 0
Mini is great if you have a small data plan. Opera mini's servers compress the website before it gets to your phone.

Sometimes when I post, I stop the reload and do a copy all of my post, then hit the back key to reactivate the reload and then click submit. And if the post doesn't take, I just paste my saved post and try again. A little bit of a PITA, but I love the speed of Mini too much to give Mini up.

I used to do that with my bb 8900 lol

Upvote 0
This has to be the fastest version of Opera Mini ever!!! Feels like I have 4G. Loads web pages in seconds. I've always enjoyed using Opera Mini because it caches the web pages, and allows me to go back to previously viewed pages quickly without having to reload them.

That's my favourite feature of Opera Mini. I would have liked all browsers to do this.

Upvote 0
I've just downloaded FF mobile as it's my browser of choice on desktop and so far I'm impressed with tabbed browsing, speed and syncing.

I've used Opera full and mini before and opera mini was my browser of choice on my nokia 5800 before DHD.

Anyone else use FF mobile? Are there things you know about Opera that FF can't do? Looking at your feedback I might take another look at Opera

Upvote 0
The Mobile 11 also has Opera Turbo which also compresses the site.. it might not be as much as the Mini, but it still does it...

I have download mobile 11 and have to say it is much better than dolphin.. it feels snappier.

id get mobile 11 but 23mb is huge. can it be sideloaded? if so how much mem of the 23mb is left on phone storage?

Upvote 0
I just installed both Opera Mini and Opera Mobile. I'm using Mobile right now. I noticed that the stock Android browser really slows down when entering a message on this forum. No such issues with Opera Mobile. I like the bookmark management on Opera much better than the stock browser. I cannot seem to get to the full site of some web sites with Opera Mobile, though.

Upvote 0
Just got Opera Mini 6. I've used Mini 5 for a bit earlier, and while I liked it, a website app I commonly frequent didn't display quite right. It's fixed in this version, it seems.

Oh, and I'm running OMini on a Nexus One. You may think that it's weird I didn't opt for the Mobile version, but above ALL else, on a mobile browser, speed rules all. And Mini DOES have pinch to zoom for the few that commented on it in this thread.

I really love this browser, it's super fast, the scrolling feels smoother than any other browser.

Although, is it possible to get REAL tabs? When you download the browser to the phone, the intro page it brings up when you launch the app the first time shows a picture of real tabs on the phone (up at the top of the screen, available at all times), but in actuality, you have to press the windows button and then pick the tab you want. This is no different from the stock browser, and I hate that implementation.

Help?

Upvote 0

pros
easier/faster pinch zoom

cons

It uses a LOT less data. Perfect for my very modest data plan.

I decided to try out other browsers, and have used dolphin and most recently xscope. I like xscope for its speed and it has pinch to zoom and flash.

Opera Mini 6 does have pinch to zoom last time I checked...
Version 11 renders the page using the GPU and the specs on your phone, instead of on the servers. Version 11 also has HTML 5 and flash support.

And for the people having trouble with the forum postings, you can always use Opera Mobile with Opera Turbo on.

As far as the size is concerned, you can move it to SD if you have froyo, so that isnt really a big deal for me.

The good things about the Mini are its bandwidth conservation, BLAZING fast speeds, Opera link, Saved Pages section, Download bar, background tab loading(I can have 10 tabs loading at the same time without a hint of slowdown).

The bad things are: Some websites will behave in a... different manner when faced with the Mini. (some forums for example)

Good things about Mobile 11:
Flash + HTML 5
Very smooth pinch to zoom and text reflow.
Finally, the best of all is Opera Link.

The tight integration with the Desktop browser and the other browsers across the device, along with great features is what keeps me hooked.

Edit:
Just got Opera Mini 6. I've used Mini 5 for a bit earlier, and while I liked it, a website app I commonly frequent didn't display quite right. It's fixed in this version, it seems.

Oh, and I'm running OMini on a Nexus One. You may think that it's weird I didn't opt for the Mobile version, but above ALL else, on a mobile browser, speed rules all. And Mini DOES have pinch to zoom for the few that commented on it in this thread.

I really love this browser, it's super fast, the scrolling feels smoother than any other browser.

Although, is it possible to get REAL tabs? When you download the browser to the phone, the intro page it brings up when you launch the app the first time shows a picture of real tabs on the phone (up at the top of the screen, available at all times), but in actuality, you have to press the windows button and then pick the tab you want. This is no different from the stock browser, and I hate that implementation.

Help?

Well, It is there in order to give you more screen real estate to work with, Most smartphones need all the screen they can get, you can try suggesting this to the Opera Team though, some of the suggestions to get implemented.

Upvote 0
I've been using Opera Mobile tonight. I am a little frustrated that I cannot view some full web sites even when not configured to open as mobile sites. I could view those with the stock browser. It's no use having Flash support if I cannot open the full site so I can view Flash content. The sites I am having difficulty with are Gizmodo (Canadian site), Engadget, and Sportsnet.ca.

Upvote 0
So no one else has the problem where you click a link, it looks like its loading for 1 second then just stops?

This has happened to me a few times. I just click on it again and then it works. I also had a weird problem where I was clicking on the Android Lounge on these boards and it brought me to the Applications board instead. It appears to be intermittent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones