• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opera Mini Beta

Mr.Android

Lurker
Nov 14, 2008
So I'm not sure if anyone else here has noticed that the Opera Mini browser app was recently added to the Market in Beta. I've already installed it. Just a few quick observations about the browser. The scrolling is smoother using the trackball, although much slower than the native browser due to an "onscreen mouse." Navigating however is very easy from my experience. They've done an excellent job of trying to show full web pages and then selecting the portions you wish to zoom in on (with only a quick tap). No need to bring up those zoom in/out keys. It's pretty quick too. The start page is a list of bookmarks that you can change to meet your needs. In my experience, many pages appear to load quicker than those in the native browser. Although it's only in Beta, it's certainly worth checking out. I like it already compared to the "Chrome Lite" browser (in fact not at all like browsing with Google Chrome). I say hats off to the team working on Opera Mini. They've made a real nice browser for mobile platforms.

OK, I've d/l'ed it and used it. It seems to rely on the trackball a lot more than the Google one does. I would say it is confusing but it is probably just different enough to be noticeable. If I went from OperaMini to ChromeMini I'd probably be saying the same thing about Chrome.

That being said, what are the points in favor of OperaMini? Why should someone consider it over the browser already on the phone? Playing with it for just a short time I couldn't find any, but I'm sure there are others more familiar with OperaMini that could point out some things I am missing.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the scroll stinks, due to it being implemented as a mouse, rather than a touch screen. I wouldn't worry too much about the servers being in the loop, Sidekicks have been doing that for years. It would require a pretty prodigious data center to store all the stuff from all the opera mini users worldwide. It's probably covered in their privacy statement, although I haven't looked for it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones