1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Opera mini hijacking links from LG browser?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ccretur, May 20, 2011.

1. ccretur

ccretur Lurker

I've only had my Optimus V (and Android) for about 10 days, so please bear with me. I recently installed the Opera mini browser and selected "Yes" when asked to make it the default browser. I like it, but it doesn't seem to like the website m.mlb.com - screen is pretty much unreadable. So I ran the preloaded LG browser and manually loaded the m.mlb page. It came up fine, but here is the strange part: if I click (touch?) a link on that page, the link loads in Opera mini! I've used multiple browsers on many platforms (pc, ipod touch, etc) but links are always followed in the active browser, not hijacked by another browser (even if the other is labeled "default"). I hope this is a bug and not a "feature". Has anyone else experienced link hijacking? I'd like to find a way for these browsers (and maybe more) to coexist. Any thoughts on this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Welcome to the Android Forums!

My guess is that it's not "link hijacking". When you install a new browser, until the default has been set on the phone, the phone will prompt you to select a new default. Once that default is set the browser you select as the default will be used whenever a link is selected. Based on what you are indicating my guess is that Opera Mini was set as the default. If you want to reset it, you can change the default selection in Settings or you can uninstall the Opera Mini browser.

3. ccretur

ccretur Lurker

Thanks for the reply Martimus! Your suspicion is likely correct, but I still consider this strange behavior for a browser. On my PC, for example, IE is the default browser, but if I launch Chrome, any link I select in Chrome is launched in Chrome, not in IE. Must say I'm not blown away by Android, but the Optimus is a keeper anyway. Thanks again.

C

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

You're welcome!

Unfortunately you are absolutely correct that the web browsers on Android devices do not typically behave in the same way as those on PC's or MAC's.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews