1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Opinions needed for potential purchase

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MrJohnnySpot, Jun 3, 2011.

1. MrJohnnySpot

MrJohnnySpot Member
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Hey all,

My wife comes up for renewal next week and is in dire need of moving to a real smartphone, none of that junky quasi-smartphone crap she's had the last two years (that's what she gets for not taking my advice when I tried to get her in on an HTC earlier).

In any case, instead of posting in the Android Lounge, I figured I'd post in the Dinc2 area so that I could get your opinions on the pros/cons of the phone from actual users. I'm torn between bumping her up to the Charge b/c there is partial coverage where we live/work (work has 4G, home is 3G) or going with my gut and that says to go with the Dinc2.

FWIW, she'll be a light/moderate user focused on internet, social apps, media apps, light gaming (angry birds and other "simple" games), and e-mail. So, if those of you that own it could let me know what you like about it and what you don't like, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers all!

Advertisement

2. Stealthman

Stealthman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    If you don't have to have 4G then I think this phone is the best 3G available.

I was on the fence because I always want to have the newest tech however I've been burned down that road before with bugs, etc. The Dinc2 is an awesome phone.

3. anguish

anguish Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    IT bitch
    Hell's Outhouse
    +1. Part of the reason I didn't go with the Charge or Thunderbolt was because I have no need for 4G/LTE.

After my experiences with the D2G, the DINC2 has been a wonderful phone.

4. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    I think your going to get the same answer from everyone here ... If you don't need/want 4G go with this phone.

5. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    +1

I hear switching between 4g and 3g has caused connectivity issues in my area (Twin Cities) and don't forget battery life...

My vote would be for the DInc2 (keep in mind mine arrives on Monday)

6. chknhwk

chknhwk Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm coming from a Droid X straight to the DInc2 due to hardware and software problems. Between the wife and myself we went through 8 DX's. On the last two I finally bit the bullet and flashed Liberty onto both. It was the first time in a year we were both happy with our phones - for the most part, mine still had hardware issues with the screen. Some of the things I absolutely loved about the DX was the size of the screen. It was so nice and easy reading things on it. The DInc2 screen is noticeably smaller.
    One of the biggest gripes over the DX was the craptastic motoblur UI that you are stuck with. The HTC sense doesn't appear to be a whole lot better. I loaded Launcher Pro and the 'feel' of the old DX is back somewhat, although the HTC sense seems a little too sensitive to the touch for my taste.
    I liked how the DX was laid out vs. the DInc2. The contacts, phone, browser and base software was much easier to navigate. The DInc2 is not so intuitive - I've lost contacts from my DX in the transfer and I can't figure out how to repopulate them.
    The messaging app lists both voicemails and text messages - VERY annoying if you want just text messages listed. Annoying.
    The DX had a much larger internal phone storage than the DInc2. I'm finding myself stressing over how to keep the storage free where as I did not have to worry about that on the DX. This means that it is easier to move apps over to the SD card than the DX, I just haven't figured out how stay on top of that yet.
    The DX had issues with staying connected to my home wifi but the DInc2 seems to stay connected and maintain better data transfer rates reliably.
    Overall I would have to say the DInc2 is a better phone out of the box but if you can get a DX or DX2 with no hardware problems and you flash a custom ROM it would be an instant winner. Hope that helps!

Note - all of my reviews were based off the stock motorola blur UI and ROM. The Liberty ROM improved the phone so much (even if you do lose voice command functionality and visual voice mail) it was no contest.

MrJohnnySpot likes this.
  7. Lespaul20

Lespaul20 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    How many apps do you have installed? I have 70 apps installed and still have 865MB free.

8. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    I have 120 apps installed (that's everything, including the bloatware on here) and I have 781 megs available.

9. chknhwk

None

Apr 8, 2011
    Edit: I now have 116 apps and after moving everything over to the sd card that the phone allowed me I am at 890 megs available (actually the phone says 0.89gb).

10. victek

victek Android Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2011
    I've had the phone since the end of April and it has been excellent. I generally like the Sense UI and I've gradually found apps, mostly free, that enhance the phone in various ways, such as SMS Pro. The screen is bright and responsive, and large enough for typing on the virtual keyboard without much trouble (I had a hardware keyboard on my previous feature phone). I also don't have 4G in my area so that's not an issue with the phone. I paired my bluetooth headsets with the phone easily and voice dialing/recognition over the headsets is very good. I rarely draw the battery down to 50% each day, but I'm a light user - email, a little web browsing, check weather and traffic. I don't play games. There really are no "cons" per se. Highly recommended.

FYI, I got a bundle on eBay that included a hard case, screen protector and car charger for way less than the Verizon branded stuff.