• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opinions on HTC EVO V 4G

4G has the same limits as 3G. 2.5gb per month before throttle, or 3.5gb per month with the purchase of the 4G hotspot device and monthly plan.

This was updated and they stated that they will not be throttling 4G data.

Where'd you see this?

I'm copying this from the post that I posted in the other thread:

I don't want to get my head chopped off here... but I do believe that on 4G only there will not be a cap; so it would be Unlimited 4G and 2.5GB 3G@full speed.

References:
HTC Evo V 4G for Virgin Mobile coming May 31st for $299.99 | The Verge

Update: We just heard from Sprint that 4G data is truly unlimited and will NOT be throttled — the throttling only applies to the usage of 3G data. This contradicts Virgin Mobile's PR that says the first 2.5GB are "full-speed" without any note mentioning which network you're using.

Boost, Virgin intro prepaid WiMAX via HTC Evo smartphones

The carrier said there will be no throttling or caps on its WiMAX service. However, Virgin will slow users' CDMA data speeds after they consume 2.5 GB of data in a month.

Upvote 0
I'll probably sign up for this with either Boost or VM. They are both getting some variation of this phone IIRC.

My biggest concern is that the call quality from this phone is supposedly not very good, or at least that is what I've read in some reviews. Can anyone actually comment first hand on that aspect?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396296,00.asp

Cons
Mediocre call quality. Limited video codec support.

Upvote 0
Indeed hehe. I tried this with my boyfriends HTC Eris, but when I added Launcher Pro he completely lost all availability to the Sense widgets, which in my opinion is the only thing worth keeping from the UI. I ended up uninstalling LP so he could keep the cool widgets he likes so much.

you can get very sense-ish feeling widgets, some a direct rip off. but if you use go launcher, youll have access to their go widgets which a lot of them are very cool. pretty sure you cna use their widgets without go launcher, but when used with go launcher they get neat animations and such i dont think they have otherwise.

Upvote 0
getting paid tonight...buying this on release day ;)

holding on to my Triumph since I doubt anyone would be willing to buy it off of me..maybe later we might get fully working ROM for the Triumph, i'll just use it as a house phone with GrooveIP.

Anyone know how many touchpoints this will be able to do? Hope its not as bad as the Triumph

Upvote 0
I will never succumb to go launcher. I love sense with a passion. That's just me :p

I've dreamed about getting an HTC phone for quite some time.

Using anything else.. well that just doesn't make much sense (pun intended)

and i will even use go launcher on my transformer tf300 when that comes in the mail today. id use go launcher even if the only feature it added was the cool globe spinny animation for the app drawer. that should be the default android app drawer animation lol

Upvote 0
I like the looks of this phone... My first android phone wa the lg optimus v. Loved it. Still use it on wifi but now use the bionic as phone. Is the evo v 4g going to be 3d capable? I read that it was in one article and not in a different article... Lol. I hope so! I dont really need 3d but that would be cool.

Upvote 0
From what I've seen and read from CTIA this is going to be identical to the Sprint version except for the addition of ICS. Further evidence would be that Virgin was promising all new Androids in their lineup would be plain vanilla Android, but since they're getting this phone from daddy it will have Sense UI 3.6 onboard. Again this is exciting not just for this phone but also Virgins future lineup. With Sprints economy of scales we should be lookng forward to newer, higher specced devices that are handed down from Sprint after they sell them exclusively for a year or so and then move them down to Virgin. Especially with 4G WiMax because the last that I heard was that Sprint planned on phasing that out by 2015 or so, just like they did with Boost Mobiles iDen network this year. So while Sprint is migrating to 4G LTE this allows them profitably to utilize their WiMax service and phones whilst making the switch. Win/Win for everyone, especially us Virgin and Boost customers. :D

Upvote 0
I am for sure switching from the MT, just thinking about how inaccurate the touch screen is, the always changing maximum volume, the unresponsive capacitive buttons, the horrible video recording. I was ready to switch yesterday.

The Evo V shouldn't have any of that and should have at least a 4-point multitouch screen as well. HTC makes good devices so non of that should be a problem unless VM had them change something with it and make it have a crappy touchscreen or something...

Upvote 0
Well I just read that the carrier talk to the manufacturers to slightly modify the phone to bring down the price or something like that. I don't think they swapped components. Probably more just modding it to work on VM.

Where can I find an OEM back case for the evo 3d? I don't want to have carrier branding.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/HTC-EVO-3D-Non-Retail-Packaging/dp/B005FT29PK :D

Upvote 0
According the all the press articles there is no 4g surcharge but all the people on a $25 plan will have to move to $35 price. So that is the only price change unless signing up for tethering. I can't believe there are any people willing to stay on the Triumph over this phone. I'll probably get this now instead of switching to t-mobile's $30 plan.

If you don't like sense you just change your launcher. I too would have preferred vanilla android but we are getting ICS so this is going to be a great replacement for a phone that I have had to call CS and get a replacement for 4 times in less than a year. I know every product line has a certain amount of defective units but the triumph ships with multiple defects from the huawei/foxconn factory. I've never heard of someone having to replace 4 or more phones due to manufacturing defects before.

I am on the my 6 triumph

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones