• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opinions on new Google play

Between the name change, icon change/loss, the google play switch has to be best news that the Amazon appstore has gotten in months.

I hadn't used Amazon in a while, but it was on my homescreen, while android market wasn't. They didn't have what I wanted but still, I went there.

Changing the name and icon so radically was a terrible idea -- call it google market at least.

Now I've got three Google Play apps (books, music, and store). The store icon is terrible and buried deep in my apps list.

Without a google search I don't think most people will easily find/use it.

Upvote 0
I miss the "Just In" list, and not just because I wanted to get downloads from there. Yeah, it was generally full of bad apps, but I always checked it on the off chance I might run across something cool. The current lists mostly just the same. Don't get me wrong I loves me some Angry Birds, but why is it in the Top New apps?

Also, "Google Play" is still and likely will remain named the Android Market for most of the people I know. "Google Android Market" would have been okay, but no one knows what Google Play is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones