• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Optical Track Pad doesn't work in the dark?

Last night I was hammering out some emails while watching TV. The only light in the room was from the Inc and the TV. I could not get the track pad to register my motions. I attempted to angle the phone to face the TV but still got no response.

I'm thinking this is a design failure. An optical device shouldn't be on a phone if it can't be used in the dark. Seems to me that the light sensor would affect the track pad's sensitivity based on the ambient light.

Is there any work around to getting the track pad to work in the dark?

As a parade of Dinc owners file into a darkened room in their abode for testing, Colchicine gets a good laugh at their expense. :p

I just tested this in a pitch dark bathroom where the only light was the screen on the lowest illumination setting and the soft buttons and I had no issue using the optical track pad to navigate.

Upvote 0
As a parade of Dinc owners file into a darkened room in their abode for testing, Colchicine gets a good laugh at their expense. :p

You caught me.

Alrighty then. I guess I need to do more systematic experimentation to determine when it doesn't work. Anecdotally, I've noticed it more in dark situations.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones