• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimize your Droid Eris battery life (READ THIS)

Caddyman

Android Expert
Nov 10, 2009
Delaware
www.talkdelaware.com
I figured since battery life seems to be the #1 complaint of my fellow Eris owners I would pop a thread in here that lists out loud and clear how to try and get the most juice for your squeeze.

1. KNOWN ISSUES - Native SMS app will not let the phone sleep. This has been posted and reposted, but it can't hurt to have it here again.

to check go to settings>about phone>status and at the bottom awake time. if it is 100% you more then likely have this bug

to fix it go into your messages app, menu>setting> and turn off notifications.

go to the android market and download handcent sms or chomp sms, and install. then pick a contact and press send sms, pick your new sms app as default, and send any message. then do a reboot.

once that is all done, power on your phone, let is sleep for a minute after reboot and go back to settings>about phone>status and at the bottom wake time. if it is around 50% or so the fix has worked and you should be able to charge faster and hold a charge longer.

Along with this tip, the stock verizon visual voicemail app, if active it known to keep your phone "awake" there is no way to uninstall this app, just don't use it.

For the below 4 settings (tips 2, 3, 4, and 5) you can easyily set toggles on your home screen to flip these on and off with one touch. Simply hold a open spot on your home screen to add widget, pick htc widgets, pick settings, then add whatever widget you want to control.

2. Turn wifi off when not using it (settings>wireless controls>wifi on or off)

3. Turn GPS off when not using it (settings>location>turn gps on or off)

4. Turn Bluetooth off when not using it (settings>wireless controls>turn bluetooth on or off)

5. Turn Mobile Network off when not using it (settings>wireless controls>turn mobile network on or off) (if both this and wifi are disabled you will not be connected at all to the internet. the only thing you will be able to do is make/recieve phone calls and send/recieve sms mesages, this will give you tremendous battery savings though)

6. Turn off audible touchtones (settings>sounds and display> audible selection)

7. Turn off haptic feedback for typing and touchscreen inputs (with keyboard up press the gear for settings>sound feedback and vib when typing OFF)

8. also turn off screen animations.(settings>sounds and display> animations)

9. Turn screen brightness down to a moderate level.

10. Turn on disable auto backlight. (settings>sounds and display> disable auto backlight)

11. You can set screen time out to 30 second, i leave mine at a minute, thing is just to remember to hit your red call end button when putting the phone down.

12. Turn off auto-sync for your google account features (setting>data synchronization>Google)

13. Conditioning the battery by letting it run all the way down and then charging it up seems to help alot. For best results, do this three days in a row.

14. It is reported that using wifi rather then 3g service from verizon uses less battery...so if you are in a area for a extended period of time with wifi avaialbe use it and see.

feel free to suggest more options, i can add them to the list. hope this helps.

I figured since battery life seems to be the #1 complaint of my fellow Eris owners I would pop a thread in here that lists out loud and clear how to try and get the most juice for your squeeze.

1. KNOWN ISSUES - Native SMS app will not let the phone sleep. This has been posted and reposted, but it can't hurt to have it here again.

This isn't true for all handsets. This only applies if you see that your phone awake time is 100%. Mine is not - it stays in the low 20s, so using an alternative messaging app won't save on battery in this case.

Upvote 0
I've done all of this except the vibration for keypresses. In my opinion, the vibration helps immensely in giving the illusion that you're actually pressing a button.

I saw the biggest increase in battery life after turning off WiFi and adjusting the backlight brightness.

Thanks for all the suggestions--extremely helpful.

Upvote 0
Great thread. Hey, Caddyman....I asked this ? in another thread but got no replies so I'll ask you. My wife's Eris doesn't have the waketime issue and the default sms app works fine but do you recommend handcent anyway or should she stick w the default? What are the major differences between the 2?

I did have the sms issue. So i have no choice. But if you don't have the issue, i would probably still use handcent, it is a great looking program, works well, give the sms popup which is convenient, and it very customizable.

I've done all of this except the vibration for keypresses. In my opinion, the vibration helps immensely in giving the illusion that you're actually pressing a button.

I saw the biggest increase in battery life after turning off WiFi and adjusting the backlight brightness.

I thought so too Grizz, and I may turn it back on to see if it really affect the battery that much.

Upvote 0
I did have the sms issue. So i have no choice. But if you don't have the issue, i would probably still use handcent, it is a great looking program, works well, give the sms popup which is convenient, and it very customizable.

Caddy,

Do you know if you install handcent, and for some reason don't like it, can you uninstall it and go back to the regular sms? For some reason, I thought I read in another thread that you cannot, and have to stick with your installed one forever. Just wanted to confirm. My awake time is between 18-25%, so its not a necessity for me.

Upvote 0
you can always go back to the original SMS app. When you install a new one on the phone the old keeps working too. So if you ever have to go back its no big deal. I switched two things and have doubled my battery life. First I got ChompSMS, I liked the options a litle bit more then Handcent. I also downloaded Advanced Task Manager, its different then the Advanced Taskkiller you see talked about more often. This one does the same kill funtion but it has a auto kill app that are not in use feature that I have set to run every hour. It also has a widget that kills apps, its a nice feature to only have to click once instead of twice. Also it has the kill by shaking, kills apps when you shake the phone hard enough. Silly but it really does. The app costs .99 but totally worth it to make it more then a full day off one charge.

Upvote 0
Been screwing around with this issue for several days. One thing to note for all those folks experiencing the dreaded 100% even after doing the SMS fix: the Verizon visual voicemail app triggers the messaging app to alert you of new visual voicemails.

That wakes up the dreaded "Messaging" Beast from the bowels of the phone which triggers the 100% problem all over again. Took me a long time to figure this one out...

Upvote 0
Do hard reset.
FOllow SMS thing at top of thread

Make sure you delete any messaging widgets/shortcuts from your homescreen. Also i found that if you switched to other home screens that triggered it all over again.

I just spent some time customizing the one homescreen/layout and never switch to others.

Do not reload verizon visual voicemail

Quite frankly - i cannot believe verizon would put out phones withthis issue. it drained two batteries for me in about 8 hours.

Upvote 0
Would someone like to explain what exactly the "mobile network" setting covers?

It turns off your phone's internet access, like unplugging your dsl model. Your phone can make and receive voice calls and sms messages.

On the Droid Eris, hold down the "power" button, a pop up will appear, tap the last option, "mobile network", to toggle mobile network on/off. It's trivial, and takes no more time than launching an app on the phone.

With mobile network on, you'll see "3G" on the top status bar between the location (circle with cross) and signal strength. With mobile network off, you won't see 3G, just the location and signal strength.

Apparently being on the 3G network drains battery much faster than just being on the voice network. My guess is the voice network has been highly optimized for battery life, after all, it's been out for years and you'll get a lot of pissed off customers if they all need to charge their phone every day. But internet access is relatively new, so it's not as optimized, and people on the data plan right now generally don't mind charge their phone every day for the benefit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones