• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimize your Droid Eris battery life (READ THIS)

like Chuntsman, my phone was PERFECT until i did the upgrade last night. had phone charging overnight (noticed in middle of night orange AND green notice lights were flashing). took phone off charger this morning and it still wasn't 100%. drove over and hour with it hooked to car charger. sitting at work it drained to 15% in about 2 hours without me doing ONE SINGLE thing.

i've been researching fixes all day and came across this forum. seems like there are 50 different reasons/solutions. i'll try some tonite when i can at least get my phone back on a charger (i shut it down a few hours ago when the battery icon went into the red, again after doing NOTHING)

i've honestly only downloaded about 8 apps since i got my phone a few months ago. no facebook, twitter or games to take up memory or junk it up. if anybody finds a successful fix/reason why the 2.1 update causes this please share. thanks.
That sounds more like a hardware issue than software. Maybe a defective charger or bad port.

Upvote 0
Did what was said on the 1st post of the thread when i got my phone 2 days ago. my battery last a whole day of use texting, surfing, ect.. my up time is 25:50 and my awake time is 5:15 thats a pretty good ratio. i ahve it set to sleep after 1 min of no contact, and i always hit the hang up/sleep when im done using it. i also turned of soem sound function, vibrating when you touch the keyboard. and a few others.

Upvote 0
If the battery is Lithium Ion, and it most likely is, there is no "conditioning" required. Running your L-ION battery all the way down actually destroys it. L-ION has no memory so there is no reason to "condition" it.

There is a widely-held belief on this forum that the internal meter that measures the charge and estimates how full the battery is needs to be calibrated by having the phone reach both extremes so it knows how full is 'full' and how empty is 'empty.'

Upvote 0
One more thought to help you track this down: Go to Settings>About phone>Battery>Battery use and then click on the item "Android System" and I think the items on that page are listed in order of use. So the first few items might be doing the damage.

I checked this on mine and the only app there is camera-100%. But the time is 2s. What is this supposed to mean?

Upvote 0
I checked this on mine and the only app there is camera-100%. But the time is 2s. What is this supposed to mean?

How long have you had your phone on? Also, did you use the camera immediately after you turned it on? The camera absolutely destroys the battery and, in some cases (few and far between), wouldn't shut down right after the 2.1 update. Go to settings>applications>running services and kill the camera app and see if you do better.

Upvote 0
Mine did that for a few days. Then I updated all of my apps (the ones that had updates at least), restarted my phone, and it stopped. Been good for two days now. I noticed the camera would use battery in the background after charging it with my wall charger.

Upvote 0
If you're having 100% or nearly 100% awake time, that's obviously going to kill your battery. Here's the easiest way (without installing any new apps) to see what's keeping your phone awake:

1. Go to "Phone".
2. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (you won't need to hit send).
3. In the menu that shows up, choose "Battery history".
4. In the first drop-down menu, choose "Partial wake usage" and wait ten seconds for it to load.
5. Top item in the resulting list is what's killing your battery.

If it's "Calendar" it means one of your sync accounts (Google, Exchange, Facebook) is stuck in an endless loop of trying to sync. Reboot usually fixes that, or you can go one-by-one and manually sync till you find the culprit.

I did this and after the 10 seconds, two dropdown boxes came up: Partial Wake Usage and Since Last Unplugged. After the last dropdwon were lists of what was killing the battery. My top one was "Android System", then "Calendar" then "media".

Any ideas on what I should do? What I have noticed a lot with the Advanced Task Killer is this. I will open it and find a lot of programs running that I have never used since the last time I killed it.

I had my battery at 100% about 15 minutes ago and now its at 86%. I have been messing with the settings is all.

Upvote 0
I did this and after the 10 seconds, two dropdown boxes came up: Partial Wake Usage and Since Last Unplugged. After the last dropdwon were lists of what was killing the battery. My top one was "Android System", then "Calendar" then "media".

Any ideas on what I should do? What I have noticed a lot with the Advanced Task Killer is this. I will open it and find a lot of programs running that I have never used since the last time I killed it.

I had my battery at 100% about 15 minutes ago and now its at 86%. I have been messing with the settings is all.

There are several people on this forum (OfTheDamned, for example) who feel very strongly that a task killer is, not only unnecessary on the Android operating system (it's designed to manage tasks automatically), but a common cause of eating more battery life than normal.

Try uninstalling Advanced Task Killer and see if that helps your battery life.

Upvote 0
just a heads up, it seems to be pretty universal that the battery drains really quickly from 100%-85% for some reason, but then like normal the rest of the way, and sometimes runs really strong for the last 15%. I've used my phone minimally the past 2 days, and i'm going on about 32 hrs and its at 20% which i think is pretty good. I have the mobile network on all the time, but have the "enable always on mobile" unchecked.

Where is the Enable Always on Mobile located at on the phone?

Upvote 0
I have no complaints with my battery life. I rooted and installed plainjane, followed by customizing all my setting. background data turned off (i can push my email/weather/fbook/twitter myself when needed), gps off, wifi off, brightness at about 25-30%. moderate use of phone (about an hr of talk time, fbook and twitter updates atleast twice an hr, check weather every 2 hrs, and 30-40 text a day). Took the phone off at 8:30 am. here I am at 11:35pm with 65% left. If i play angry birds of watch youtube I'll be more around 50% and if I stay out at the bars til all hours of the night and get my drunk text on I may get down to 40%.

Regardless the Battery life is fine for what I need. Thanks for all the help on this site teaching me how to modify my phone and make it work for me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones