1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Optimizing for U.S. data network?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hova24, May 10, 2011.

1. hova24

hova24 Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    So I purchased an unlocked UK SGS2 because it has U.S. 3G bands. I should have looked into this further prior making my purchase, but I noticed slow network speeds and somebody had told me I need to optimize the device or change some settings to make it more compatible with our networks on this side of the Atlantic. I haven't had much success with Googling this issue and wondered if any of you have had experience or tips for optimizing unlocked phones purchase abroad for our networks in the US. Thanks!

Advertisement

2. edward90

edward90 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011

Never really heard of that before..are you running on at&t or tmobile?

3. hova24

hova24 Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    It's on ATT. I received a response in another forum regarding APN's and changing them, but haven't heard a response on how to change them. I think this is the right path, but I am seeking a way to go about this in hopefully an easy manner. Thank you

4. intruda119

intruda119 Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    What? Never heard of this before. I'm getting H+ in north Florida. Should just work out of the box with Att. Have you tested anyother devices?

5. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    I'm not sure if it would help, but have you called ATT to give them your IMEI? I remember one time I had slow data speeds on another unlocked device and spoke to some tech guy at ATT who did some "provisioning" or something and it seemed to improve my data connection

6. hova24

hova24 Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    Hmm... have you used the Speedtest app? My phone says I'm on the H+ network, but I'm only getting ~500 kbps. I can't find much info anywhere. My APN and such look good. What speeds are you registering? Thanks!

7. hova24

hova24 Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    I will try this and report back! I wonder how this relates to data speed though? I thought thr IMEI was basically almost just like a "registering number" or something of that ilk. Thank you!