1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Optimizing the GS4G (Speed & Battery Life)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vlad, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Vlad

Vlad Lurker
    None

Nov 2, 2008
    Hey guys, I just picked this up yesterday and I can say that this is a big upgrade from my BB9700.

My concern is the battery life. What can I do to extend my battery life to the max? (Turning off sync? Deleting apps? Apps for managing battery life?)

Also, while the phone runs smooth, I'd still try to make it more snappier, any tips for that?

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated. Once I get all of this sorted I'm sure I will not want to go back to my BB.

Advertisement

2. galaxys4g

galaxys4g Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    LOL this is the same question I asked earlier. Also an Android newbie, but I've heard of an "App Killer" app, which is supposed to save on battery life, but I don't know if it's the best or not.

I've also heard that changing the background to plain black (or darker colors) uses less power.

3. mechanicalmeta

None

Feb 17, 2011
    Sprint Service Tech
    DONT USE TASK KILLERS. Back out of apps that you are no longer using. Set display to low or auto. External email accounts other than gmail, sync em every 2 hours etc. Nothing really you can do.... You have a full touchscreen phone, welcome to sucky batt life :p

Hell.... atleast you dont have an EVO. Talkin bout batt suxorz....

You can buy a Lithium Polymer batt as well to give you better batt life.

Hope this helps.

4. galaxys4g

galaxys4g Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2011
    what's wrong with app killer?

5. mavictb

mavictb Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    Reno, NV
    well with the SGS4g an app killer is not needed... it has task manager built in...

6. carmendiva

carmendiva Android Expert
    None

Feb 11, 2010
    Female
    Intern, Model, Acting, Dancer
    New Yor
    Alot of ppl say that task killers are harmful to the system but i always install advanced task killer on every android phone i've owned(and i've owned plenty) and i dont buy into the it's not necessary/it's harmful thing

Never an issue and it makes the android experience much better

7. tripwire's_hero

None

Jan 11, 2010
    Designer
    Los Angeles
    welcome android newbs!

you've stumbled onto the greatest argument currently occupying the android space: task killers! Many people claim they are great for saving battery life, optimizing the system's RAM use and increasing performance speed. Others say that because android OS does not operate like most system software, they are not necessary (or even harmful to its operation). The only thing I can say on the matter is that I used 1 for 2 months on my previous phone, and NEVER saw any battery life or system speed improvements.

as for the other advice given in the thread, it's spot on. Set your screen brightness down (or to auto adjust) set you mail and social media programs to update sparingly, and watch for 3rd party weather apps that constantly ping the servers for GPS location and updates (these are notorious battery hogs.)

Extra battery monitoring apps are not needed (and actually use more power) as the system has battery monitors built in to the settings.