1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Optimus 1 FM Radio etc. Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BlueSkies, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BlueSkies

BlueSkies Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Hi all.

New here and to Android phones. Brain's melting w/info overload so hoping to get some help.

For me, Optimus 1 seems great for upcoming work travel. Make calls, play movies, some games, email, text, etc. Used $ on local CL is low so I won't cry if phone stolen. Optimus V was 1st choice but I think it's limited to CDMA network even if unlocked. Besides: O1 has an FM radio. I like checking out local radio in new cities.

Questions:

Optimus One = LG P500 right?

FM radio: data dependent app or actual radio? edit: i.e. can use FM offline? (I think since headphones are needed, the cord is the antenna?)

GPS: use offline?

GSM arena sez: 2G GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G HSDPA 900 / 2100

So unlocked, this phone will work with any North American carrier using that tech?

Much TIA

BS (oh man what a crappy acronym derived from my handle! ;)

Advertisement

2. BlueSkies

BlueSkies Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    1st message too long.

Edited:

FM radio: data dependent app or actual radio that can be used off line?

GPS: use offline?

When unlocked, and new SIM installed, does the Optimus One work with any U.S. or Canadian carrier using GSM or HSPDA?

Much TIA

BlueSkies.

3. jflarin

jflarin Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    Yes Optimus One = LG P500.

Offline, you mean without data connection? Yes it can be used without data. GPS also, but there is a limited number of things you can do with a GPS without access to any maps. It's not like a Garmin, Magellan or TomTom GPS. You have the coordonates of where you are, but to get the navigation capabilities you need a software. I haven't yet found a free software that has any useful mapping capabilities.

jf

4. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me
    None

Mar 10, 2010
    Studying
    Qu
    Google Maps now offers the ability to download parts of the maps for offline use, so that's a free one. You have to enable it in the "labs" part of the options though.

Copilot Live is also offline, but it's not free. Works great on the Optimus One.

5. jgorehampenney

None

I'm a big dork so the FM Radio is my favourite app on my Droid ;) I love it and used it every day on my O1, I lost my phone and just replaced it and again, I'm a dork, and I was worried there wouldn't be a radio! jflarin is right, you don't need to use data to use the fm radio tuner.