• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Optimus battery life

All the Optimus One phones seem to have the same Evo Radio bug.
Check out:
Evo battery life trick read - xda-developers
and
Excessive Battery Drain (Even On Standby) - Android Forums
for info.

I followed the directions and vastly improved my battery life, and no more Time without service.

Interesting piece of information. I checked my phone's prefered radio band and it was set to CDMA auto (prl). Hopefully it means that Optimus S phones are not affected by this bug.

My experience so far has been that if the battery drains too quickly (assuming you are not using the phone extensively), it is always some app in the background sucking CPU or data. As soon as I see it happening, the questionable application gets deleted. I also like to reboot the phone at night or whenever I notice it is acting up. So far, using this tactics I found battery life to be very decent -- I've seen about three days of light use without charging.

Upvote 0
Interesting piece of information. I checked my phone's prefered radio band and it was set to CDMA auto (prl). Hopefully it means that Optimus S phones are not affected by this bug.

My experience so far has been that if the battery drains too quickly (assuming you are not using the phone extensively), it is always some app in the background sucking CPU or data. As soon as I see it happening, the questionable application gets deleted. I also like to reboot the phone at night or whenever I notice it is acting up. So far, using this tactics I found battery life to be very decent -- I've seen about three days of light use without charging.

I have had my Optimus S for about 6 weeks, the first 5 I was lucky to get about 14 hours on the battery. My phone always seemed to be hot on the back of the phone by the battery.

Last week, I did the preferred radio band and downloaded Watchdog (the free version). The Watchdog app. found that my Where Sprint ID was sucking down my battery. I killed the ID and since then I unplug my phone at 5 AM. Check the weather a few times a day. Send and receive about 20 messages, 5-10 phone calls, surf the web for about 30 minutes and still have over 70% battery at the end of the day. Not sure if it was the radio band reset or the Watchdog. Now I am actually happy with my phone.

Upvote 0
I have 5 Tmobile Phones. Only one is an Adroid Phone and that is my LG Optimus. I have had the Optimus since Christmas Time of 2010. Anyway the LG Phone has awesome features and I use lots of them. I do a lot of Texting during the day and also browse the Web and view TV or YouTube. Well I have noticed that my Battery life was very low in the late afternoons. I usually take my Phone off the Charger around 5am and its place on a charge each night around 7pm.... Anyway I spoke with a Friend of mine who is a Tech and Repair person for the Apple Iphones. He told me to turn off the WiFi feature on my Phone and the GPS feature to conserve on the Battery. This has helped very much. Now the Battery lasts much longer and I am still doing a lot of Texting sometimes more than 100 per day. And I still use the Web and Watch my International TV Shows on my TV app. Battery is lasting very good now. However anyone want a great recommendation on a Phone that has awesome Battery Life: The Blackberry Smartphones have fantastic Battery Life. You can work on the Phone all day and the charge is still full of life. They are fantastic.... I keep my Blackberry for emergency backup and I also have an HTC Smartphone that also has great Battery Life. Hope this little bit of Information helps someone like it has helped me..

Upvote 0
Looks like no traffic here for a while, but I'll give it a try just in case someone is checking. I recently got two identical Optimus S from Sprint. One phone works great, getting more than two days between charges with light usage. The other is used similarly, but has to be charged daily. I swapped batteries to see if one had a defective battery that won't charge fully. No change. I recharged them both simultaneously, put them side by side on the counter overnight, and in the morning the "good" phone was 92% and the other was 68%. Both have the gps, bt, and wifi off. "Bad" phone is out of the box sprint configuration, "good" phone is same with a couple of added apps, none for power management.

So my observation is there might be some quality problems in the devices that causes inconsistent power drain between devices. I'll discuss it with Sprint and let you know if I learn anything.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Looks like no traffic here for a while, but I'll give it a try just in case someone is checking. I recently got two identical Optimus S from Sprint. One phone works great, getting more than two days between charges with light usage. The other is used similarly, but has to be charged daily. I swapped batteries to see if one had a defective battery that won't charge fully. No change. I recharged them both simultaneously, put them side by side on the counter overnight, and in the morning the "good" phone was 92% and the other was 68%. Both have the gps, bt, and wifi off. "Bad" phone is out of the box sprint configuration, "good" phone is same with a couple of added apps, none for power management.

So my observation is there might be some quality problems in the devices that causes inconsistent power drain between devices. I'll discuss it with Sprint and let you know if I learn anything.

Any thoughts?

Yes. I've had the same experience. The GPS went out on my original optimus S. The replacement is a refurb that I'm using the same battery in.

On the original phone the 3G radio was much more efficient... after a 16 hour day I was usually at 60% battery life. With the refurb'd phone I'm typically at 30%.

Battery life on wifi seems pretty much identical between the two. It's just the 3G radio that has radically different battery usage.

Same apps, same settings, same locations and very similar usage.

Upvote 0
I Just got this phone few days ago . I am liking it . Now i used to be a Original Moto Droid owner and i can say they batter life on that absolutely sucked till i rooted it then it was perfect . Now this phone i have done nothing to it al all and i can go all day playing games , checking emails, surfing web, making phones calls and still have at least 20 to 30% by the end of the day . Yes it takes a long time to charge but what do i care it does it when i am asleep . So far i am loving this phone only downside is i cant install adbobe Flash :( which sucks for me .. So i am Still happy with this phone .

Upvote 0
The time without signal in my home, for some reason is very bad, if you notice in the picture since my phone been on, the time without signal at the 15m was 50%, then i toggled airplane mode on and off, now the percentage is decreasing. This bug really need to get sorted out.

mykenyc, Those images you are showing... are they from an app u downloaded? I have looked all over my phone and can't find anything like that...
Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes. I've had the same experience. The GPS went out on my original optimus S. The replacement is a refurb that I'm using the same battery in.

On the original phone the 3G radio was much more efficient... after a 16 hour day I was usually at 60% battery life. With the refurb'd phone I'm typically at 30%.

Battery life on wifi seems pretty much identical between the two. It's just the 3G radio that has radically different battery usage.

Same apps, same settings, same locations and very similar usage.

Just to followup... I don't know why the 3G radio in my replacement phone has such poor battery life but I did find a solution that is working really well.

I'm using an app called Green Power Free to only turn 3G on for 5 minutes every half hour and when I turn the screen on (as long as I'm not on wifi). My battery life is now typically 60-70 percent by the end of the day (light usage).

I think you can also use Juice Defender for the same purpose but it had more stuff then I needed so I went with Green Power.

Upvote 0
This is my first android phone and initially i didn't believe the reports from other Android phone users that battery life on android phones sucks, but really it does. Here's what I've found:

- With all synchronization turned off, no wi-fi, and light usage, the phone lasts about 1/2 a day (5 hours) from a full overnight charge.
- When additionally I halted all my usual apps (email, to-do, calendar) etc, *and* put the phone in airplane mode, which means I can't really use it for anything, it still discharges at approx. 8%/hour. What on earth is it doing??

This seems quite ridiculous. My Blackberry used to go *days* without a charge, and even my iphone got at least a complete day and quite often two.

BTW, I know something is up b/c even when I turn off all sync, the builti-in email app somehow continues to sync..

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I simply cannot continue using this battery hog of a phone :mad:

cheers

Upvote 0
I have the Optimus M (Metro PCS) and also was shocked how quickly the battery drains. It was my first smart phone. My cheap Motorola dumb-phone, could keep a charge for 3-4 days of normal usage. My Optimus needs charging multiple times a day. Anyway, here are my experiences-

1. The display does not drain juice as much as I expected. I usually keep it pretty dim. I could see at the max brightness, how it might be a juice hog.

2. I think the background apps and all the GPS, Wireless, 3G etc... are big culprits.

3. But in my experience, the biggest juice sucker of all, has just been "poor signal strength" from my carrier- Metro Piece of S.
At work I get no signal at all, and I am there for nine hours. I basically just put it into "airplane mode" or else keep it plugged into my work laptop via USB.

Upvote 0
This is my first android phone and initially i didn't believe the reports from other Android phone users that battery life on android phones sucks, but really it does. Here's what I've found:

- With all synchronization turned off, no wi-fi, and light usage, the phone lasts about 1/2 a day (5 hours) from a full overnight charge.
- When additionally I halted all my usual apps (email, to-do, calendar) etc, *and* put the phone in airplane mode, which means I can't really use it for anything, it still discharges at approx. 8%/hour. What on earth is it doing??

This seems quite ridiculous. My Blackberry used to go *days* without a charge, and even my iphone got at least a complete day and quite often two.

BTW, I know something is up b/c even when I turn off all sync, the builti-in email app somehow continues to sync..

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I simply cannot continue using this battery hog of a phone :mad:

cheers

When you say all sync is turned off... you are going into Settings-->Wireless & network settings-->Mobile Networks--> and turning off "Data Enabled"?

If you aren't, then the phone will still be using 3G.

Upvote 0
3. But in my experience, the biggest juice sucker of all, has just been "poor signal strength" from my carrier- Metro Piece of S.
At work I get no signal at all, and I am there for nine hours. I basically just put it into "airplane mode" or else keep it plugged into my work laptop via USB.

I agree... if you haven't already I do recommend trying juice defender or green power to turn off data sync automatically. My battery life went from 10% at the end of a 16 hour day to 60%.

Upvote 0
I'm thrilled with the Green Power app. It does a few really logical things that add up to big battery savings. Maybe some of the other ones are just as good, but I don't feel the need to experiment.
It seemed like you have to worry constantly about where your next charge will come from. Like some kind of weird electron addiction.
Now I'm not in search of a charger the minute I get home or in the office, or in the car. If I'm not using Navigation, I charge it every couple of days.

Upvote 0
This gets me through the day:

Turn off GPS (as mentioned), Wi-hi, hotspot, etc etc

Turn off the emails, just check manually

Screen Filter to dim screen indoors

If all else fails:
LG 3500mAh Extended Battery G2X/optimus + Door Cover (haven’t tried)

edit: Forgot to say, I also use Auto Memory Manager, dunno if it helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones