• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimus LTE2 vs LTE3 (F7)

laidman

Lurker
Dec 6, 2011
Hi folks!
I went to register just now, and discovered I'd registered in December of 2011...don't remember that at all...

Anyways, I guess I've been reading the site here for a while but have obviously never posted anything. I'm still using an almost 4-year old flip phone, and have decided that it really is the time to grab a smartphone.

Even though I don't have a phone, I'm regularly giving friends advice on what to get, or suggesting things at least, and read a lot of tech articles/sites on phone, computers, and digital photography, so I'm pretty up-to-date on what's out there. I also often go in to stores to play with the devices they have on hand.

I've decided though, that I don't want to go high-end, and would like to save a few bucks. The LG Optimus LTE2 (gsmarena says it's a Korea-market phone - I don't know if it ended up anwhere else. Luckily I live in South Korea!) is a nice little unit that feels good in the hand. I also be able to buy it pretty cheaply, I think, hopefully for around $200US, then stick it on a plan over here.

The Optimus F7 was recently announced, and is out here in Korea on one of the three carriers as the Optimus LTE3. Thing is, as far as I can tell, it's almost the exact same unit as the LTE2! I'm pretty sure it's got the same dual-core 1.5GHz Krait unit...the only two big internal differences I can find (looking at the specs on gsmarena) include the LTE3 having only 8GB of internal memory versus 16GB on the LTE2 (both have microsd slots and removable batteries) and the larger battery on the LTE3 (~2500mAH) versus the ~2150mAH battery on the LTE2. To boot, the LTE2 has a nice rubber-textured back that's quite comfortable to hold, whereas the photos I've seen of the LTE3 have a glossy, hard back. I haven't handled it yet, though...

What do you folks think about these two? I'm really just looking for something that I can much around with but will serve me well. I helped a friend get an Optimus G Pro a few weeks ago, so I can always play around with that if I need a fix!

Cheers

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones