• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimus one of the worst for cancer-causing radiation

If you look carefully at the studies, most of them found absolutely no correlation between cell phone usage and an increase in brain cancer, and the one the WHO is basing this on found a possible increase in a very rare brain cancer.

And yes, there *have* been people saying this for twenty years.

Unless you have the phone constantly at your ear, you don't have anything to worry about. The study was based on 30 minutes/ day, so unless you use >900 minutes a month, it would not apply to you, anyway. If you use a headset, it would not apply to you at all.

Incorrect. the WHO study was not a single study. It was an evaluation, a peer review, of multiple studies conducted all over the world at many different institutions. You are also incorrect that the previous studies don't show a correlation. In fact they absolutely do. The one I read a few months ago indicated 500 minutes per month as a threshold that if you go over, your changes of getting brain cancer are increased by 10 times.

Upvote 0
First cell phone was developed in 1973, and first mobile network and phones were in release in Tokyo in 1979. I've heard this since at least the early 90s.

the issue is not when they were invented or released. the issue is when they have been in widespread use. in 1979 there were not enough people using cell phones to conduct a scientific study. the other issue is that it takes 10 years for these types of cancer to develop, and most people have had cell phones about that long.

Look folks I don't care what you believe. the science is there. but you don't need a scientific study to realize that putting a miniature microwave oven next to your brain for extended periods of time is a bad idea. Go ahead and do it if you want.

Upvote 0
The same study shows a correlation between coffee and cancer. Anyone giving up their morning joe over this? I doubt it. ;)

I don't know where you folks are getting your information, but it's not correct. The "study" did NOT have anything to do with caffeine. a group of experts is studying different types of radiation. they are not conducting any actual studies, what they are doing is studying other studies and seeing if there are consistencies in the research that is being conducted independently around the world. this is how science works. You can ignore it if you want. I don't really need to beat this to death. I just posted some information that is based on real science. Like I've said, I"m not suggesting people get rid of their phones and I'm not telling anyone to believe it. But please don't post incorrect information saying the "same study" linked caffeine to cancer because it's not true.

to quote their own press release:

a Working Group of 31 scientists from 14 countries has been meeting at IARC in Lyon, France, to assess the potential carcinogenic hazards from exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields. These assessments will be published as Volume 102 of the IARC Monographs, which will be the fifth volume in this series to focus on physical agents, after Volume 55 (Solar Radiation), Volume 75 and Volume 78 on ionizing radiation (X‐rays, gamma‐rays, neutrons, radio‐nuclides), and Volume 80 on non‐ionizing radiation (extremely low‐frequency electromagnetic fields).

(note there is no reference to caffeine anywhere in the press release, nor does a search on the WHO website for "caffeine and cancer" turn up anything that says caffeine causes cancer. I do remember reading something about this recently but I do not think it was WHO and it was not the "same study" as you said).

Upvote 0
Point taken regarding keeping our Optimus from frying our cells. ;) However, if you look up other popular smart phones in the list (e.g. Droid, Incredible, Blackberry), you will see that they have numbers that are similar or worse! If anything our beloved Optimus is on the lower end in terms of emissions. Even the iPhone 4 emits 1.17 w/kg, which isn't that much different.

In any case, I am going to start putting my wallet between my phone and my leg in my front pocket... :cool:

Wallet? You're gonna need an inch of lead! :p

Upvote 0
I don't know where you folks are getting your information, but it's not correct. The "study" did NOT have anything to do with caffeine. a group of experts is studying different types of radiation. they are not conducting any actual studies, what they are doing is studying other studies and seeing if there are consistencies in the research that is being conducted independently around the world. this is how science works. You can ignore it if you want. I don't really need to beat this to death. I just posted some information that is based on real science. Like I've said, I"m not suggesting people get rid of their phones and I'm not telling anyone to believe it. But please don't post incorrect information saying the "same study" linked caffeine to cancer because it's not true.

to quote their own press release:

a Working Group of 31 scientists from 14 countries has been meeting at IARC in Lyon, France, to assess the potential carcinogenic hazards from exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields. These assessments will be published as Volume 102 of the IARC Monographs, which will be the fifth volume in this series to focus on physical agents, after Volume 55 (Solar Radiation), Volume 75 and Volume 78 on ionizing radiation (X‐rays, gamma‐rays, neutrons, radio‐nuclides), and Volume 80 on non‐ionizing radiation (extremely low‐frequency electromagnetic fields).

(note there is no reference to caffeine anywhere in the press release, nor does a search on the WHO website for "caffeine and cancer" turn up anything that says caffeine causes cancer. I do remember reading something about this recently but I do not think it was WHO and it was not the "same study" as you said).
From what I linked earlier:

Coffee, pickled veggies also 'possibly' cause cancer – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Which links to the WHO's classification list:

http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/ClassificationsGroupOrder.pdf

Some possible carcinogens in "Group 2" include:

Glass containers
Shiftwork that involves circadian disruption
Bracken fern
Coffee
Dry cleaning
Pickled vegetables

Upvote 0
Incorrect. the WHO study was not a single study. It was an evaluation, a peer review, of multiple studies conducted all over the world at many different institutions. You are also incorrect that the previous studies don't show a correlation. In fact they absolutely do. The one I read a few months ago indicated 500 minutes per month as a threshold that if you go over, your changes of getting brain cancer are increased by 10 times.

Am I to assume then that you are ditching your phone?

When I was a child, the studies showed that we would die of radiation from sitting in front of the television. If that had been true, I and every other Boomer, would be radiation monster, or dead...

You may say I am incorrect all you like, and are free to believe what you like.

I am not going to get my panties in a wad either way.

Upvote 0
the issue is not when they were invented or released. the issue is when they have been in widespread use. in 1979 there were not enough people using cell phones to conduct a scientific study. the other issue is that it takes 10 years for these types of cancer to develop, and most people have had cell phones about that long.

Look folks I don't care what you believe. the science is there. but you don't need a scientific study to realize that putting a miniature microwave oven next to your brain for extended periods of time is a bad idea. Go ahead and do it if you want.

It is an issue when you state they haven't been around for 20 years, when they have. It's hard to take anyone seriously when they can't even take a minute to google something before posting. I've been hearing this story, as I said, since the early '90s. This is nothing new, and as someone else said, akin to the radiation stories about tv's.

Given all the toxic products floating about in the world today, this falls under the category of using common sense. Blast your earphones too loud you could lose hearing, eat too much fast food, you'll gain weight, ingest too much medication you can die.

For the record, I do think there probably is some truth to the studies, but will I lose sleep over it? No. Now excuse me while I go and sit too close to the tv. :p

Edited to add: Don't mistake possible for actual-they're not the same thing, and that's what the report says, it has the potential-much like I have the potential to win a Nobel Peace Prize.

Upvote 0
Well let's see here... what about all the other sources of radio frequency in our homes? Wireless routers, microwave ovens, bluetooth devices, and some cordless phones run at 2.4xx GHz, but we don't see any hype about that now do we? Is there something about the frequency at which cell phones operate on that causes cancer more so than other common devices? Correct me if I'm wrong but CDMA runs somewhere between 1850 and 1990 Mhz, so being a lower frequency it probably can penetrate your skull better than a higher frequency in the GHz microwave band, but why does nobody worry about that bluetooth headset next to you brain? It puts out less power than a cell phone transmitter, but then again the headset is always there where a phone might be there for a few minutes at a time. Our wireless routers provide coverage throughout our homes, but we don't hear any hype about bathing in their RF emissions every minute that we're home, now do we? Every laptop I've owned, the wireless card is in the bottom, under an access panel. It transmits and well as receives.... but nobody has ever said not to put a laptop in your lap because it emits RF energy. Perhaps there may be some truth to all this hype, but in my humble opinion, most of it is one little thing getting blown out of proportion by the evil media... which is why I don't watch tv to begin with. Well, that and watching tv gives you cancer ;)

Upvote 0
Am I to assume then that you are ditching your phone?

As I have stated at least twice in this thread (which I guess you haven't read) no I'm not ditching my phone and I wouldn't suggest to anyone else that they should. I'm only suggesting that people be aware and take some precautions to minimize the amount of time that the phone is right up next to your ear (brain).

Excuse me folks for just trying to let people know about a possible concern! I never suggested that people should trash their phones. I was just sharing info about a scientific study that does have some merit. You can do what you want with it. With all the attacks you'd think I said something really stupid, like Sarah Palin should run for president or something... :eek:

Upvote 0
No, I guess I am just too old and stupid to know how to read. Sorry. Too old and stupid to get exercised over the latest in a looong line of cancer scares, too. Maybe they were right and the radiation from the tv already turned my brain into an electrified cauliflower. So sad. I showed such promise as a child.

I am not ragging on you, and I do understand that you were posting as a public service. But, if you look at the entire list of what the WHO has declared a possible cancer risk, it (not you) gets laughable.

Their "abundance of caution" causes unnecessary anxiety, which is far worse for people's health than the items they warn about.

Upvote 0
Well let's see here... what about all the other sources of radio frequency in our homes? Wireless routers, microwave ovens, bluetooth devices, and some cordless phones run at 2.4xx GHz, but we don't see any hype about that now do we? Is there something about the frequency at which cell phones operate on that causes cancer more so than other common devices? Correct me if I'm wrong but CDMA runs somewhere between 1850 and 1990 Mhz, so being a lower frequency it probably can penetrate your skull better than a higher frequency in the GHz microwave band, but why does nobody worry about that bluetooth headset next to you brain? It puts out less power than a cell phone transmitter, but then again the headset is always there where a phone might be there for a few minutes at a time. Our wireless routers provide coverage throughout our homes, but we don't hear any hype about bathing in their RF emissions every minute that we're home, now do we? Every laptop I've owned, the wireless card is in the bottom, under an access panel. It transmits and well as receives.... but nobody has ever said not to put a laptop in your lap because it emits RF energy. Perhaps there may be some truth to all this hype, but in my humble opinion, most of it is one little thing getting blown out of proportion by the evil media... which is why I don't watch tv to begin with. Well, that and watching tv gives you cancer ;)

Microwave ovens are 'supposed' to be sealed, hence a theoretical exposure of zero. Fun Fact: I could place my old GSM T-Mobile phone in the microwave oven and it would loose all signal.

BlueTooth and Cordless phones: RF power is low, so there, again in theory, be no cause for concern. These only have to transmit relatively short distances, not like cells that have to do ranges on the order of miles+.

Part of it also has to do with the distance of the antenna from your body.

RF power drops exponentially as you move farther from the source.

So using a handsfree moves the antenna of the Cellphone away from your head/body and greatly reduces your exposure to RF.

Most modern laptops, with *built-in* WiFi, have the WiFi antenna in the frame of the screen. Although the WiFi card is in the bottom of the laptop, it has wires that connect it through the hinge to the antennas in the frame.

All that being said, I still do not use a laptop on my lap, close to the "jewels".. More concerned about the 1Ghz+ multi-core CPU and it's proximity to said jewels!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones