• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Optimus powering off on it's own

Yes, dick302, that has happened to me before. Stock phone, not rooted. I guess it just needs to reset itself. :(

After taking the battery out and then back in, the phone came back to life.

I do also know that some applications "wig-it-out", like the Angry Birds Rio and Chuzzle" from the Amazon App Store have done for me.

Upvote 0
If you have the sd card that came with the phone installed, you need to buy a new one. My phone would always reboot randomly and shut ofc on its own like you described. I pu in a sandisk sd. Card and no more issues since. The sd cards that these phones come with are made in Taiwan and are very low quality which results in inconsistent read/write speeds. This causes the phone to freak out. So get a good quality sd card, preferably a sandisk.

Upvote 0
If you have the sd card that came with the phone installed, you need to buy a new one. My phone would always reboot randomly and shut ofc on its own like you described. I pu in a sandisk sd. Card and no more issues since. The sd cards that these phones come with are made in Taiwan and are very low quality which results in inconsistent read/write speeds. This causes the phone to freak out. So get a good quality sd card, preferably a sandisk.

That may have helped you out but that is not the case for me. I had swapped out my uSD card a few days after I got this phone and put in a Kingston 16 GB card. I wish that was the solution for me. By the way - how long has it been since you swapped memory cards? I might try this if nothing else solves the problem. Maybe I swapped to a bad Kingston card but Kingston has been a good brand for me in the past.

By the way Sandisk has a division in Taiwan but I don't know what they make.
SanDisk Asia-Pacific

Upvote 0
OK, so I call VM about the phone powering down on its own. They say it should not do that and the next thing I know they are shipping me another phone. That was way to easy, makes me wonder whats up with this. The VM guy said this was the first he had heard about the Optimus V doing this.

I called that number you gave and spoke to a VM rep about the phone rebooting. She said she had not heard of that before and suggested problems with low memory, maybe a certain app was causing this, etc. which didn't address the problem. She was very nice but did not seem to know much about this situation and asked me to hold while she talked to a technician. Next thing she came back on and said I was still under warranty and they would replace the phone. I was really looking for a possible solution instead of a new phone but I will keep this solution (new phone) in mind if it gets worse. I did not want to go through the hassle of swapping phones and possibly have the same thing occur. I would only have 30 days to return a phone (original or new) so maybe the problem would not manifest itself in that time??

Anyway if the rebooting gets much worse I have until March of next year (my one year warranty) to get a new phone. For now I guess I will see if something else is causing it. I agree that they offered a new phone fairly quickly - maybe there is an issue that we don't know about yet.

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar issue. My phone isn't rebooting, just freezing. It won't power off or on - it just turns off or stops on the current screen and no buttons will work, including the power button. I have to take out the battery, sometime twice per day, to fix the issue. I've only had my phone a week. I'm calling VM today. Maybe I'll try a new SD card. I have purposely not downloaded a lot of apps fearing it would "junkify" my phone. I have two apps, no way should this be a memory issue and I'll be bummed if Virgin claims it's is... Any other suggestions?

My first smart phone and it's causing me more stress than its worth....

Upvote 0
This is the third day that i've had my optimus v, and so far its only restarted itself once and that was while i was texting, and charging my phone at the same time. Not sure if that matters but hey u never know with technology these days...lol. And so far i've had good battery life, with 3G left on, and Wifi off. Id say it lasts about a day and a half, and all i do is text, check e-mail, and facebook, most of the time its in my pocket cause i work to damn much...lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones