• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus S Recovery for MetroPCS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
beta kernel same disclaimer as recovery.

Supports OC to 864mhz if phone can handle it must use setcpu to clock above 600mhz.
BFQ as I/O scheduler
Added interactive & smartass governors
Added tun.ko, cifs.ko, and support for ext4.
Packaged in koush's anykernel so it will work with virtually and rom as it doesnt overwrite ramdisk.

read notes on overclocking here http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/222328-kernel-thunderc-sprint-optimus-s-oc.html

GNM Optimus M beta kernel

Again if you like my work please toss a donation my way as I don't have this phone.

Upvote 0
beta kernel same disclaimer as recovery.

Supports OC to 864mhz if phone can handle it must use setcpu to clock above 600mhz.
BFQ as I/O scheduler
Added interactive & smartass governors
Added tun.ko, cifs.ko, and support for ext4.
Packaged in koush's anykernel so it will work with virtually and rom as it doesnt overwrite ramdisk.

read notes on overclocking here http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/222328-kernel-thunderc-sprint-optimus-s-oc.html

GNM Optimus M beta kernel

Again if you like my work please toss a donation my way as I don't have this phone.

Will this kernel and recovery be on your git? I also don't have this phone. But thank you for everyone else on here that will use your work in the near future.
Does this recovery use the test-keys?

Upvote 0
Kernel flash succeeded and confirmed working with OC. My phone is stable at 825Mhz. Anything higher reboots or freezes the phone. Just curious, but does this kernel do anything like enable stagefright or what not and is it really necessary to have it enabled?

Stagefright has nothing to do with kernel. Thats a build.prop edit. Aside from jit stagefright is the 2nd highest performance boost from froyo.

Can you test the rest of recovery features like usb mass storage and such.

Upvote 0
So that stuff will not come until a custom system.img correct? Ummmm....oops! My phone just rebooted itself. Guess it is only stable at 825Mhz for so long. I'll give 806Mhz a try.

Damn 825 and 806 seems fine until I load an app. Both times I opened Market and that's when it rebooted. lol

787Mhz seems to allow me to get into Market so I can download Quadrant and Linpack so I can benchmark.

Quadrant at 787Mhz gives me a score of 577. A little higher than a Nexus One.

Linpack at 787Mhz gives me 9.3595 MfLOPS, Time: 8.92 seconds, Norm Res: 5.68, Precision: 2.220446049250313E-16. whatever all that means. Is that good? lol

Upvote 0
787 apparently is no good after awhile either. I went to do something else and noticed my phone was at the lock screen when I got back so it must it have rebooted itself. Trying again at a lower speed. Oh and while I'm at it, lemme pop into my paypal account and slide some cash your way. You deserve it.

768Mhz on Quadrant gives me 564, still higher than Nexus One. Guess those are based on stock scores for the other phones. About to test with stagefright enabled.

Donated $15. It'll be under the name of my girlfriend Kimberly Greene. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This phone is clocked at 500 from boot, 600/650 would be perfect all around...
So I might as well add this kernel to the Code:Optimus-M modified boot.img

Actually just have them flash this over yours as it will not change the ramdisk you have as its still beta and I'm not done with it yet. Koush's script dumps boot.img replaces kernel and modules and repacks boot.img using existing ramdisk and kernel command line and flashes the new boot.img. Kernel max on boot is set at 600mhz btw to prevent boot loops.

Same as stock it is set to boot on performance gov @ max kernel freq to faster boot and init.qcom.post_boot.sh from stock ramdisk runs to change gov to ondemand and sets kernel min. That is unless you changed this in your ramdisk in your boot.img. The 500000 is the sampling rate for on demand not the cpu_freq.

Code:
"thunderc")
        echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
        echo 90 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
        echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/down_differential
        echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
        echo 245760 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

Upvote 0
Actually just have them flash this over yours as it will not change the ramdisk you have as its still beta and I'm not done with it yet. Koush's script dumps boot.img replaces kernel and modules and repacks boot.img using existing ramdisk and kernel command line and flashes the new boot.img. Kernel max on boot is set at 600mhz btw to prevent boot loops.

Same as stock it is set to boot on performance gov @ max kernel freq to faster boot and init.qcom.post_boot.sh from stock ramdisk runs to change gov to ondemand and sets kernel min. That is unless you changed this in your ramdisk in your boot.img. The 500000 is the sampling rate for on demand not the cpu_freq.

Code:
"thunderc")
        echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
        echo 90 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
        echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/down_differential
        echo 500000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
        echo 245760 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

So I will leave it with the stock kernel until yours is perfected...

A script in run-parts can edit these frequency easily. And I know its
Code:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones