• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus V Rooting,Roms,Tutorials thread

Look, I understand that they're supposed to be included in the Android SDK. There's even a folder called USB drivers. Even after manually pointing the installer at that folder the phone will only show up as "Android Sooner Single ADB interface" under device manager. Has Google changed something in their latest SDK to no longer include fastboot drivers?

Upvote 0
Bigsuper - I tried the drivers you included and still no luck. The phone shows up as "android" in device manager, and it will not accept the drivers as being valid. I can reboot the bootloader from the command prompt, but when running the fastboot commands it hangs at "waiting for device". Any suggestions?
The only thing that worked for me was to download the LG mobile download tool Mobile Phone Support
(instructions [HOW TO] Install USB drivers for the LG Optimus One - Android Forums but now LG actually has the LGVM670 in the dropdown list so no need for the location=>signapore etc.)
and run it to allow it to download the drivers itself. If that doesn't work I'm clueless.
Other than the drivers, AFAIK asadullah's the man (one of the real deals, from what I've read) and I'd listen to his advice.

Upvote 0
Thanks, bigsuper but I still can't get the fastboot drivers to load. I followed asadullah's video, but it totally glosses over the fastboot issue since it works perfectly for him. I've uninstalled the previous drivers, started fresh with the mobile support tool and I get as far as the failed reboot bootloader attempt. The same situation asadullah scolded me for by claiming I screwed up his directions and not following his video. I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm getting tired of digging endlessly through different threads and not getting anywhere.

Can anyone help me with the fastboot drivers?

Upvote 0
I appreciate this tutorial. Even I should be able to pull this off, that is if I can get the right driver installed. Both of my computers (xp/ win7) see my optimus v as "google mass storage device". Neither os will accept the lg drivers downloaded from the lg site or the drivers located in the google folder in the sdk. adb dos not see my device at all.
My goal here is to attempt to "downgrade" from 2.2 because of the "freezing" issue I and others are experiencing and rooting seems to be the first step. If I'm going about this the wrong way please correct me if not please advise me on how to force the correct driver down windows' throat!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I did it last night.

Used this guide...
[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V - Android Forums

and this tool...
http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus...3-1-ex-recoveryflasher-tons-new-features.html

to flash this ROM...
Zefie's CM7 for the Optimus V (Current: 03012011) - Android Forums

only hang up was on mmark's ROMTools have to rename recovery.img to vrecovery.img. Other than that, everything worked perfectly.

whats the real advantage to rooting. other than having root access and being able to erase stock virgin mobile apps.

Upvote 0
Forgive the newbness but can I perform the rooting on a linux box?

And thank you asadullah for your contribution.

I was actually working on something like that this past weekend.

Right now things are really slow on my end but if you work ten hours a day six days a week plus several hours of school a few of those as well ( don't forget the hour drive both ways) It makes it kinda hard to figure out what can I do today on my one day off? I love working on my phone and improving it as well as helping others so they can get to my level and beyond.

Upvote 0
O.K. I just want to backup my "rom" BEFORE modifying it. I'm losing my mind trying to sift through all of the tutorials and it seems that I cant back anything up without installing a new recovery img yet the disclaimers warn that doing so could be disastrous. If I had a backup I wouldn't care. Rom manager requires clockworkmod but my lg optimus is not on the list provided. Can someone please DIRECT me, I'M tired of this "snipe hunt".

This must be some "good ol boys" club or something. twice asked for help, twice no reply but don't worry I figured it. Thanks

Upvote 0
Reserved so I can fill it out in a second

Okay so there's actually two ways to root the optimus v. For both ways you have to install the android sdk so lets get started on that first.

First go here and download the lg drivers then plug in your phone and turn usb debugging on I made a video on this awhile back here on how to install the gingerbread sdk. This will still work. While you watch the video you will have to replace the htc drivers with the lg drivers. There will be a remake on this just for lg so there is no confusion.

Root method One:
I like this method cuz it's pretty simple and I'm the first to post it :D. Plug your phone into your computer and make sure usb debugging is turned on. Download this zip file unzip it and place the .img files in your adb tools folder. Open up a command prompt and type
Code:
cd/
cd androidsdk/tools
adb reboot bootloader
Your phone will boot into a blue screen which is bootloader but will not be recognized. Install the fastboot drivers in windows by going to start/devices and printers/android device I clicked it and chose hardware/properties/change settings/driver/update driver/
It gives you two options automatically search and manual search. Choose
automatically search. It will install the fastboot drivers. Then in command prompt type this
Code:
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot reboot
You can actually just copy paste this into command prompt

Here is the zip with the images and batch you'll need here

all done with method one.

Method two:
Go here and get superoneclick then grab this zip here. Then run super oneclick
I do this while super one click is still on but to each his own
unzip the file you downloaded and push shift and right click your mouse on the file
select "Open command window here"
copy and paste this into the command window
Code:
adb push tools/recovery.img /sdcard/
adb push tools/flash_image /sdcard/
adb push tools/boot.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery
done

i did step buy step on this video and when i run the root batch file all i get is

'adb' is not recognized as a internal or external command.
operable program or batch file

'fastboot' is not recognized as a internal or external command.

I have the fastboot driver installed also have the phone in blue screen
what am i doing wrong i can't get my phone out of recovery mode

Upvote 0
'adb' is not recognized as a internal or external command.
You are not in the same directory as adb.exe.

No offense to the OP but I wouldn't use his guide as a walkthrough. It's more like background info on explaining what is happening and how to prepare you to start. Use his info as more of a study guide and not a step by step guide.

I thought his info was great in helping me understand what the automated tools are doing. But the one click solutions and automated tools are easier to use.

Reactions: PapaSlacker
Upvote 0
You are not in the same directory as adb.exe.

No offense to the OP but I wouldn't use his guide as a walkthrough. It's more like background info on explaining what is happening and how to prepare you to start. Use his info as more of a study guide and not a step by step guide.

I thought his info was great in helping me understand what the automated tools are doing. But the one click solutions and automated tools are easier to use.

Your saying i have to move everything the the folder with adb.exe if i under stand you right

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones