• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus V Rooting,Roms,Tutorials thread

I've been thinking about rooting my phone. I'm having a hard time understanding what the benefits are. Does it make the phone faster??? The only thing I've found is that the useless apps can be deleted. Am I missing something else?

Thanks

With root you can increase performance of your phone, through apps that require special root permission. Rooting in itself doesn't increase performance, but the apps you can download do. Think of rooting like a gateway.

You can also change your themes on a more In Depth level. You can change your status bar, notification drawer, text boxes and all that good stuff. That is, if you are into that kinda stuff. Before you root, make sure you know what you are doing, understand the risks, and be careful and patient. There are
are many guides to rooting the optimus v on this forum and on other sites. Good luck if you go through with it, I didn't regret rooting mine. Cheers mate.

Upvote 0
Hey all, I decided to finally root my phone and followed Asadullah's extremely helpful directions from the #2 post, didn't put in a custom ROM. It was successful and when done essentially had a phone with a smaller stock of apps, and the ones I wanted to get rid of were gone (Twidroid, Where, etc). So now I have it customized the way I want.

I have one minor annoyance though. Prior to the root, when my phone went to "sleep", I could press any of the four buttons at the bottom to wake it up. Now, that doesn't happen since rooting. I have to hit the power button to "wake" the phone up to the lock screen. Is there a setting somewhere to change that? I looked through the settings menu and couldn't find anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
http://androidforums.com/members/asadullah.html

Upvote 0
Hey all, I decided to finally root my phone and followed Asadullah's extremely helpful directions from the #2 post, didn't put in a custom ROM. It was successful and when done essentially had a phone with a smaller stock of apps, and the ones I wanted to get rid of were gone (Twidroid, Where, etc). So now I have it customized the way I want.

I have one minor annoyance though. Prior to the root, when my phone went to "sleep", I could press any of the four buttons at the bottom to wake it up. Now, that doesn't happen since rooting. I have to hit the power button to "wake" the phone up to the lock screen. Is there a setting somewhere to change that? I looked through the settings menu and couldn't find anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

yeah I gotta update that I got pretty sick of accidentally dialing people so I changed some of the button layout (it would be a real pain if I was talking crap about someone and accidentally dialed them right?) But since I'm working on the optimus v again I'll probably switch those out.

Upvote 0
so, ive decided i want to root my lg optimus v..and it looks like the safest and easiest way would be with z4root..i just have a couple of questions....
if an update from virgin mobile came can i just unroot, accept the update, and root again? if something happens to my phone and i need it fixed, can i just uninstall z4root and take it back to best buy? will they know i rooted it and void my warranty? Is there any chance z4root will brick or mess up my phone? any help will be appreciated, thanks :D

Upvote 0
sweet thread. Is there any way to put flash or flash lite on the phone with any of these roms or with rooting?

*EDIT: is there a way to overclock once rooted? I'd like to run the gingerbread rom and maybe overclock. you seem to know what you're talking about so do you have a link to a reputable source you've used or have you done it yourself?

Upvote 0
No need for anyone to pay attention to this. I decided to restart the process using my desktop instead of laptop and was able to get through everything no problem. I'm sure I'll have more problems in the future but for now I've fixed my problems.

[So I'm having a bit of a probably. I was trying the fastboot method, and right before I got to applying the root batch file i decided it was necessary to start from the beginning just in case. Well, this was a big mistake. After typing 'adb reboot-bootloader' again into the command line (this is after doing the fastboot reboot) it now goes to the blue bootloader screen but says -portchange- instead of the stuff it did before. As well when I enter 'fastboot devices' into the command line it no longer detects the phone. However 'adb devices' does show the phone when you first plug it in.

So I'm not really sure what I did to throw off the whole process. Anyone have any advice? Ideally if I could reset the process and start from the beginning somehow I think it would work.

And yes I am a noob at this.]

Upvote 0
I did a lot of reading and used a variety of methods here and finally achieved root on my phone. I verified this with 3 different programs.

How do I verify that I have a recovery flashed to my phone WITHOUT wiping it when i boot into recovery to see?

How do I flash a new ROM onto the phone?

Please keep in mind, I already have root. Why was this so much simpler on my Samsung Moment?

Upvote 0
I have been looking for SIMPLE, CLEAR, COMPLETE instructions on how to Root (which I achieved through pain and trail and error), install a recovery, make a backup, and install a new ROM on my LG Optimus V. Last night just rooting took me the better part of 3 hours. This morning I found this thread.

[How-To] Root LG Optimus S - Android Forums

In under an hour i had Recovery, a backup, and a new ROM on my phone.

These are the best, simplest instructions i have seen in a LONG time.

Upvote 0
Well since no one else is gonna say it I guess I will. If you go to the all things root section there is a thread that not only has a video but a batch file that flashes the recovery, modified boot.img and rooted system image. Takes you around five minutes.
I'm not saying this to be a d!*k. It's just people really should get used to looking in the all things root section for the optimus v

Upvote 0
I am new to all this and used the ROMTools download from Androidcentral. I rooted and installed a custom rom in less than an hour with no problems at all. It is a simple program you download to your pc. With one click it will give you root, install su, and flash the custom recovery. You can also use it to install a custom rom, custom boot animation, and more. The thread for it will also give you a link for the setcpu download. Just search Romtools in the optimus subforum. If this helps you, make sure to thank mmmark1111, the dev who wrote this program.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones