• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimus V Software Update from VM

fightingirish

Apr 19, 2011
Some of you may have received a text from Virgin Mobile regarding a software/security update for the V. Looking through their Facebook page, it is legit.

LG Optimus V Software Update

However, there is some concern over whether this is a good update to install. Some are saying that it could prevent rooting, if that is something the user intends to do down the road. As for people who already have rooted handsets, it might be a good idea to skip this update for the time being, or possibly for good.

here the word on... | Facebook

Anyone else know anything about this update?

Another warning from LG Optimus V Modding:
[Warning] Do Not Install Virgin Mobile Security Update!

You will most likely be receiving a message from Virgin Mobile soon, stating that a security update is available for the VM670. You would be wise to avoid it for now!

This update will remove root, replace your custom recovery, and install a radio that currently is only known to be compatible with the update it comes with.

Give the devs a week or two to investigate this package, and we might find something useful in it.

[Warning] Do Not... | Facebook

Upvote 0
There is an update for the V which changes the firmware to VM670ZV9.
Because the OTA is still broke they have been leaving text messages that read like this:VMFreeMsg A security patch is available for ur phone. Go to virginmobileusa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5662 for info & instructions on how to download
If your rooted it will replace root. No tethering or hot spot either if you were 2.2.1

Upvote 0
LOL Andy... look what just came in on my phone.

screenshot-1331841984794.png

It's been promptly deleted since my phone is rooted.

Upvote 0
I've gotten the text message twice. I'm rooted and on 2.3.7 - I tether and hotspot frequently though I wouldn't say my data usage is abusive.

A friend with a stock V hasn't gotten it yet and he doesn't tether or hotspot (which you can do without rooting).

I don't know if they are targeting certain users first.

VM says that all Optimus V owners will get the text, but they are being sent out in random batches.

Upvote 0
Hey n9yty, PM Andy and ask him to move your post to the root forum, or if you don't want to wait around for him you could repost it in a new thread in there, where the guys will be more than happy to help you out. Good luck. :)

And now I see you've done exactly that already... carry on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones