• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimus V Software Update from VM

I got that text along time ago, so glad I ignored it then. Though I did about 2 months after I got the text, tried the update and got the page that said that the support issue didn't exist anymore lol. Had no idea that it got rid of the hotspot and prevented rooting. One month I had to use my OV as a hotspot for my primary internet for my house, needless to say I am so very glad I ignored that text.

Running a root with CWM and a stock 2.2.1 OV rom, and the only reason a stock rom, because I couldn't find a custom rom that all my apps would work right with.

On a off topic note, anyone know if there is a chance that the OV will get a official jellybean update, been reading mixed sources that say it will and some say it wont. Kind of confusing, need some clarification on that subject. Thinking that this phone might be a bit to old to get it, but I am hoping for at least ICS, though I really want JB, but I'm not going to hold my breath for either.

Upvote 0
I just bought an Optimus V (2.2.1) , but the sw version is vm670ZV4.. I got it because I wanted a companion to tether or hotspot my nexus 7... have been going in circles trying to get the hotpot to pass data (it connects).. I don't mind rooting a phone, if I need to. But I am a newbie at android. By the way, I am also having trouble mounting a flash drive, although I have done everything short of rooting the nexus, though I would, if necessary.

I may be the very person that they were attempting to thwart, as I am on the $30/plan with unlimited 3g data...

Reactions: adamhos1234
Upvote 0
I just bought an Optimus V (2.2.1) , but the sw version is vm670ZV4.. I got it because I wanted a companion to tether or hotspot my nexus 7... have been going in circles trying to get the hotpot to pass data (it connects).. I don't mind rooting a phone, if I need to. But I am a newbie at android. By the way, I am also having trouble mounting a flash drive, although I have done everything short of rooting the nexus, though I would, if necessary.

I may be the very person that they were attempting to thwart, as I am on the $30/plan with unlimited 3g data...

If you want to root your op v go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...l-things-root-guide-updated-06-14-2012-a.html You will find everything you need, there are great guides and easy how to's. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are friendly and very knowledgeable people that will help.

Sorry no flash for the Op v.

Upvote 0
Thanks Petrah...i didn't think flash worked on the v.

Only reason i'm saying that, i've read several posts where nobody could get it to work including sammyz, i figured if sammyz couldn't get it to work, well you know!

But thanks for the info, i'll check it out.

By the way ... I love your new avatar!

( DUHHH)...YOU'VE BEEN BIT! I just read about the undead last night, great thread.

Upvote 0
Ok people this is what has happened to me i got the text (not knowing any better) i clicked the link to more info after reading it i thought that was it i didn't click on anything that said download update now or here just backed out of page then at the end of the month topped up again for 55$ beyond talk plan the next day tried to open my apps and nothing all of them suddenly stop working force close mess. all over the place thinking W.T.F. i couldn't get phone to work right so i flashed new Rom Overdrive for Froyo stock now phone is working but i cant get 2nd ext partition to work now i lost 2/3 of my apps so Don't update it don't click on the link for more info cuz i think it updates you when you top up next time weather you want it or not please help i want my apps and my gingerbread back thanks all

Upvote 0
I had flash on mine, after I rooted and added a custom rom. You just have to check over at XDA for the flash file, and I think there's even a few vids on YouTube that shows how to get Flash working on the OpV.

you can't drop bombs like that and just leave, need full detail about which exact rom and verion number, flash version, zip all those up into a file and host it ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones