• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Options for Connecting to TV Wirelessly

varxtis

Dec 25, 2012
I am in need of a Wireless solution to viewing my Galaxy Note 8.0 on any TV with HDMI. What Im looking/hoping for is a very simple, portable, and compact HDMI dongle type solution that has very few limitations.
I have seen the Samsung WI-FI Allshare Cast Wireless Hub. But if I understand it right, it has to be part of a Wifi Network and is very, limited on what it mirrors. It is not a direct feed like you get when using an MHL to HDMI cable.

Chromecast seems to be another option... but does it also need to be connected to some sort of WIFI Network, or can it act as a stand alone port to stream stuff thats on my table to the TV?

I am really trying to strive to make it simple, clean, and without cables.
Any suggestions?

I am in need of a Wireless solution to viewing my Galaxy Note 8.0 on any TV with HDMI. What Im looking/hoping for is a very simple, portable, and compact HDMI dongle type solution that has very few limitations.
I have seen the Samsung WI-FI Allshare Cast Wireless Hub. But if I understand it right, it has to be part of a Wifi Network and is very, limited on what it mirrors. It is not a direct feed like you get when using an MHL to HDMI cable.

Chromecast seems to be another option... but does it also need to be connected to some sort of WIFI Network, or can it act as a stand alone port to stream stuff thats on my table to the TV?

I am really trying to strive to make it simple, clean, and without cables.
Any suggestions?

The last update I got on my Note 8 (GT-N5110) wifi only caused issues with allshare being able to stay connected. That's when I discovered that they released a patch, but even the Samsung chat representatives didn't know about it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.screenmirroringpatch

Anyhow, I've always been able to have full wireless emulation using All share, starting with my Note 2, then my Note 8, and now my Note 3 as well. There are some other products out there that do wireless emulation. All of them have some semblance of lag, as compared to using the Smart dock or a mhl cable, but since I don't use it for gaming purposes, it serves my needs.

There was a phandroid article, recently, mentioning Koush (clockword mod developer) working on mirroring using chromecast, but not sure when that'll be available and if it'll be through his Allcast app or a different app completely:
Android mirroring to Chromecast - YouTube

Upvote 0
I am trying to mirror my GN8 to my HTV using a Netgear PTV 3000, which works with every other device I own, from Intel PCs with WIDI to numerous smartphones and my Nexus 7 tablet. When I try to do this with my Note 8 I get part way then stuck. Specifically, it starts the process and the screen on the TV says its connecting, then it asks me to enter a security code, that is shown on the TV screen, into the tablet. With all other devices a box appears on the device and I can enter the security code into the tablet and they instantly connect. The security code only needs to be entered the first time you pair a device.

The problem is that nothing happens on the GN8 by way of showing a text box to enter the security code into. I've tried simply entering the code - using my connected Bluetooth keyboard - with no success. I've seen a YouTube video where it worked fine with GN8, though they don't show the security code steip.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones