• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Options for restoring from titanium or clockwork?

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
I've done all of the backups involved with gaining root for the first time (titanium and clockwork i guess?)

What are my options for restoring?

I would love to try other roms or other things requiring a wipe, but id hate to re-download all apps and change all settings all over again.

For my first wipe, i ended up downloading each app one by one. Im assuming there is a more convenient way?

Can i also restore phone settings if i want to?

Thanks

Tips & Suggestions for using Titanium Backup:

• When you start Titanium Backup on a new ROM, if you have any doubt about your busybox version, it is highly recommended that you click the "Problems?" button before doing any backup or restore !
  • Don't forget to verify your backups (Click MENU - Batch) to ensure that your backups are OK.
  • You need to reboot after restoring system items (eg: Contacts, SMS, Settings, etc) for the changes to take effect. If you backup/restore across very different ROMs, I advise to be cautious and only include the system items you really need to preserve.
  • You can easily create a custom apps list by creating a Label in Apps Organizer, then going back to Titanium Backup, clicking "MENU" and then "Filters" and finally, selecting the Label you want. Your apps list will then be filtered just the way you want :)
  • If you backup the same app several times, Titanium Backup will save SD card space by storing each apk version only once.
  • After restoring your apps, you can run the Market Doctor to verify their Market links. If Market Doctor reports everything as okay, yet your apps are still not listed in "My Downloads", try to search for them in the Market. If they show as "Installed", it confirms that the links are okay, but your Market needs a refresh: just install any app from the Market, and the "My Downloads" section will be refreshed !
  • If you want to remove a system app, first you can try to freeze it and see if everything still works fine. Once you've gained more confidence that you don't need it, just go ahead and un-install that system app.
How to make your first backup:
- Thanks seanowns / xda-developers
  • Verify that Titanium Backup has started without warning and that your busybox is OK
  • Click the Backup/Restore tab
  • Click Menu (the button), Batch
  • Click "Backup all user apps"
  • Let it run, then go back
  • Individually backup the system data you want. That is most green-colored items. This will be bookmarks, call log, calendar, launcher, WiFi, etc.
  • Now your backups are in the "TitaniumBackup" directory on your SD card.
How to restore your backups after installing a ROM (if you wiped your phone):

• Download Titanium Backup from Market
  • Click the Backup/Restore tab
  • Click Menu (the button), Batch
  • Click "Restore all missing apps + system data
  • Reboot your phone
  • It's done ! The only thing you may have to adjust is usually your wallpaper/widgets.

Upvote 0
nandroid basically puts your phone back to exactly the way it was before you switched roms. settings, apps, everything. this is only used to go back to how your phone was before if you don't like the new rom or your phone is having lots of issues after updating.

titanium backup is used for restoring your apps and some settings in a new rom. i'm not totally sure on which settings it saves/restores. tb is also useful for basic backups of apps so you can restore to a previous version of an application if you don't like the newest version of that app.

two different back up/recovery solutions with two different purposes.

Reactions: rsarno
Upvote 0
nandroid basically puts your phone back to exactly the way it was before you switched roms. settings, apps, everything. this is only used to go back to how your phone was before if you don't like the new rom or your phone is having lots of issues after updating.

titanium backup is used for restoring your apps and some settings in a new rom. i'm not totally sure on which settings it saves/restores. tb is also useful for basic backups of apps so you can restore to a previous version of an application if you don't like the newest version of that app.

two different back up/recovery solutions with two different purposes.

Perfect thanks so much, this is exactly the info i was needing!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones