• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Options for updating apps in Google Play

Reigate

Lurker
Jan 28, 2016
I recently downloaded Android 5.1 Lollipop to my Hudl2 tablet and have the latest Google Play version 6.0.5 installed. However in Settings I now only have two options for updating apps: either not to update automatically or to update automatically at any time. There is no third option to update automatically via WiFi only, as shown in the Google Play online instructions. When l first looked at the Google Play settings options after downloading Lollipop this third option was available but now seems to have been removed, perhaps as part of the 6.0.5 update? Any help to clarify this would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi

I think the hudl2 is Wi-Fi only so the 3rd option (to limit mobile data use ) would be pointless for this device... It has probably been left out of the app for the device deliberately.

Thanks very much for getting back to me and what you say does seem to make absolute sense. I was just puzzled as to why the Wi-Fi only option was shown at first and then disappeared which would, as you suggest, imply that the Google Play settings app can adapt itself to show options that suit a tablet rather than a 'phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones