1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

opyright problem for Screenshots used in Android App

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Ajay_Kumar99, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Ajay_Kumar99

Ajay_Kumar99 Lurker

I am developing an app for android that uses screenshots from movies/TV Shows/Interviews/speeches. The app is for educational purpose and commercial. Is there going to be a copyright problem?

Sample screenshot attached below.

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I would think fair use would apply, but I'm not sure. Hopefully another dev has some insight. You are probably best asking an IP attorney.

Ajay_Kumar99 likes this.
  3. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Well-Known Member

You would be best to ask an attorney specializing in that type of law. Also, make sure you get his or her recommendation IN WRITING! I knew someone years ago that consulted a lawyer on a matter of some importance to him and when the lawyer gave his opinion verbally, he basically said what my friend wanted to hear: what my friend wanted to do was fine and wouldn't be a problem. But my friend needed a written opinion to show his board of directors so he asked for a written opinion. The written opinion was completely different from the verbal opinion and told him he could NOT do what he wanted to do without facing significant legal consequences.

I'm betting the lawyer *thought* my friend's idea was okay but when he double-checked the case law before putting his name on the letter, he discovered that he'd been completely wrong about the legality.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If it's commercial and you're making money from them. I'd say there would be a copyright issue, and you'll need to get the express written permission of the copyright holders.

IANAL of course.