• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Or lack thereof

jackfox68

Dec 27, 2014
So though I love my Samsung products I can not say the same for their customer support. They deliver a substandard product and expect me to wait while they fix their error. Really? iPhone 6, LG, HTC are looking like viable replacements. Here is my conversation with the support tech.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Susanna'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK1125602717720X
Susanna: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Brian : Hi Susanna
Susanna: Hello Brian !
Brian : I am getting an error on my phone when trying to use the finger print scanner
Brian : Basically saying there was an error
Brian : and restart the phone
Susanna: I am sorry to know that you are having error message in finger scanner.
Susanna: I will do my best to assist you.
Brian : I did some research and understand it is a known issue
Susanna: Just to confirm, are you referring to Galaxy S 5 (SM-G900V) model ?
Brian : Correct that is the model
Susanna: Thank you for the confirmation.
Susanna: May I ask you a few questions to isolate the issue ?
Brian : certainly
Susanna: Are you trying to set Finger scanner for the first time ?
Brian : I am not - I set it when I first received the phone
Brian : then chose a different unlock method
Susanna: Okay.
Brian : then a few months later tried to update my finger prints
Brian : and that is when I received the error
Susanna: Have you tried after restarting the device ?
Brian : figured I would wait for a software update to fix it
Brian : yes I have tried after a restart
Brian : still no luck
Susanna: Please provide the Baseband version of the device to check if there is an OS update for your device? To find the baseband number, From the Home screen, touch Menu > Settings > More > About device > Baseband version.
Brian : G900VVRU1ANK2
Susanna: Thank you for the Baseband version. Let me check if there is any update for you.
Brian : ty
Susanna: I will be right with you.
Brian : ok
Susanna: Thank you for waiting.
Susanna: I see your device OS is up to date.
Susanna: Have you configured work email on your device ?
Brian : I have yes
Susanna: I should inform you that work email account will block finger scanner for security purposes. That is the reason you are getting the error message.
Brian : really .... if I remove that account will it fix the scanner issue?
Susanna: Yes Brian.
Brian : ok - I just removed it
Brian : should i restart the phone ?
Susanna: Yes please.
Brian : still not working
Brian : account has been removed and phone restarted
Susanna: Shall I take remote access on your device to assist you better ?
Brian : sure
Susanna: You need to download Smart tutor app inorder to initiate remote connection. I will provide you with the procedure. Please follow below 6 simple steps:
Brian : Thats cool. I did not know you could do that
Susanna: Go to Settings>>Device/General>>Security on the phone.
Susanna: After tapping on Security, enable the option called "Unknown sources" by placing the check mark beside the option.
Susanna: Once Unknown sources is enabled, open Play Store on the phone and search using the keyword " Smart Tutor."
Susanna: From the search results displayed, install the application called "Smart tutor for Samsung Mobiles."
Susanna: Once the application is installed on the Phone, open the application and accept the Terms and Conditions.
Susanna: On seeing the Call center window, tap on Cancel and check if the application asking for any 6 digit Connection code.
Susanna: Please let me know when the app asks for code.
Susanna: Have you installed the Smart tutor app ?
Brian : code?
Susanna: Code: XXXXXX
Brian : ok all set
Susanna: Yes. We are connected now.
Susanna: Please wait.
Brian : will do - waiting for instructions
Susanna: Thank you.
Brian : I should have thought of that
Susanna: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Susanna: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Susanna: Please tap on yes.
Susanna: Is there any noticeable physical or Liquid damage on the device?
Brian : there is not
Brian : has a case and a protective screen
Susanna: Are you using a screen protector with the device ?
Brian : yes
Brian : it does not cover the scanner though
Susanna: Please wait.
Susanna: Please enter the PIN.
Susanna: As we have performed all possible basic troubleshooting steps and found no positive results, the last resort to resolve the issue is to perform a factory reset on the device and see if that resolves the issue. I should inform you that performing factory reset will erase all your data. Please back up your data.
Susanna: Shall I perform factory reset on the device ?
Brian : we can do that - I have backed everything up
Susanna: Great !
Susanna: Performing back up will disconnect us from smart tutor. Once the device restarts, check if the finger scanner is working.
Susanna: Shall we go ahead ?
Brian : yes
Susanna: Okay.
Brian : pin?
Susanna: Please enter the PIN.
Brian : I have read that this is a known issue with this phone
Susanna: After device is turned ON, open finger scanner and let me know the status.
Brian : have you had many complaints ?
Brian : ok - its is coming on now
Susanna: No. we have no reported issues.
Susanna: Is the issue resolved now Brian ?
Brian : Do I need to run through the set up wizard ?
Brian : or just hit the home screen and go to finger print scanner
Susanna: Please go to home screen and check finger scanner.
Brian : still not working
Brian : http://forums.androidcentral.com/…/382980-s5-finger-print-s…
Brian : I am getting the same error
Susanna: May I know the IMEI/HEX/DEC number of your device to check the warranty details for you? You can find it beneath your device battery or through settings >> about device >> IMEI/HEX/DEC number.
Brian : sure
Brian : just a moment
Brian : XXXXXXXXX
Susanna: Thank you.
Susanna: Let me check the warranty details for you.
Susanna: May I know when did you purchase the device ?
Brian : April of this year I believe
Brian : less than a year ago
Susanna: As we have performed all possible troubleshooting steps and found no positive results, the device needs to be sent to the Samsung service center for a physical examination.
Susanna: Shall I file a service request on your behalf to get the device repaired by samsung ?
Brian : What do I do for a phone in the mean time /
Brian : ?
Brian : being without a phone is very inconvenient
Susanna: You can contact Verizon for a loaner phone to use in that mean time.
Susanna: I understand Brian.
Brian : what is the turn around time ?
Susanna: The TAT (Turn-around-Time) for the phone service is 2-days shipping + 5-7 for Service + 2-days shipping.
Susanna: I recommend you to first contact verizon for a loaner phone and then get back to us for service request. Is that okay with you ?
Brian : not up the customer service standards of your competitor that is for sure.
Brian : its not ok - but what choice do I have
Susanna: You can also contact place of purchase or the Carrier or the insurance provider, if available. If you wish to get the device repaired from us, . I will be glad to create a service request for you to send the device in to the Samsung Service Centre for repair.
Susanna: Please contact Verizon support at 1-888-466-4646.
Click here to reach them online.
Susanna: How would you like to proceed?
Brian : I did not get insurance through the provider. I will chose the undesirable option you have suggested (service request) and then share my poor experience via social media
Susanna: I understand why you feel that way. But this is as per samsung repair policy.
Susanna: I hope you understand my limitations.
Susanna: I would have surely helped if there is an option at my end Brian.
Susanna: However, Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Brian : I understand you are bound by your company policies. Can you initiate the service request.
Susanna: Sure.
Susanna: Please provide below details:
Susanna: First name:
Susanna: Last name;
Susanna: Email address;
Susanna: Phone number;
Susanna: Alternate Phone no:
Susanna: Complete shipping address with zip code:
Brian : Do you have an executive email address I can send my complaint to ?
Susanna: Sure.
Susanna: Here is the link:
Susanna: https://contactus.samsung.com/…/ma…/MailQuestionProduct.jsp…
Susanna: Is the link accessible ?
Brian : It is
Susanna: You're welcome.Filing service ticket takes time. Please wait while I file service ticket for you.
Brian : Will do thanks
Brian : Bear in mind I am not disappointed in the service I received from you, however this is a known issue, which I provided a link to, and Samsung should have a better solution in place for making my phone whole again
Susanna: You're welcome.
Susanna: Thank you for understanding.
Susanna: Thank you for waiting Brian.
Susanna: I have filed a service request on your behalf and the service ticket number is: XXXXXXXX
Susanna: I have also sent E-label to your email address. Please check if you have received it.
Brian : I have - ty
Susanna: You're welcome.
Susanna: I will be glad to explain the repair process to you.
Susanna: Please take the print out of the shipping label and stick it on any one side of the box and write down the service ticket number on other sides of the box and drop it in a UPS office.
Susanna: Package the device in a corrugated box with adequate packaging material (i.e. bubble wrap, peanuts, newspaper), so that the device is cushioned appropriately to eliminate the possibility of damage to the device.
Susanna: Please do not send any accessories such as back cover, SD card, SIM card and charger with your phone.
Susanna: This completes the service request process Brian.
Susanna: I appreciate the patience you displayed while we worked together on this issue.
Susanna: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Brian : no thank you

I can not believe the lack of support they are willing to provide for an issue with their phone, still under manufacture warranty. I could see if the phone was out of warranty, or it was not a known issue, however that is not the case. Samsung you need find a better solution than having one of your customers go weeks with out a phone. If you do not resolve this I will take my family's business to another Android phone.

Here is a recap of the poor experience I had with Samsung

So about a month ago the fingerprint software in my Galaxy S5 stops working, every time I attempt to go into the settings it gives me an error telling me to either try again or reboot the phone. So I attempted this multiple times with no luck. So last night I had some free time and decided to log on to Samsung’s page for support. I spoke to a support rep named Susanna, who was very curt and impatient. She remoted into my system and attempted many fixes, I would say I was on with her for a couple of hours. In the end we wiped the phone clean and started with a clean slate. I was still getting the same error. So she said she would send me a box to drop it in (2 days) then I could send it back to them (2 days) 5 -7days to fix the phone and then another 2 days to ship it back. So close to 2 weeks without a phone, that mind you is still under factory warranty. So needless to say I started posting on social media, and eventually someone named Anna contacted me the next day. I expressed my concern about going without a phone for almost 2 weeks. Initially it sounded like she was going to provide a loner phone during this time based on the questions she was asking me. However, all she wanted to do was have me try some of the same trouble shooting techniques the previous support rep did. Once I figured this out I started getting frustrated. I told her I was done trouble shooting and her answer was par for the course. Here is what she said "Upon checking Brian, Factory reset was done on the phone. The best option we can offer is to continue sending the phone in for proper evaluation and have the phone fix. We can upgrade your shipping to overnight going to and from the Samsung repair center. Would you like to proceed? ^Anna” So basically I am without a phone during the time it is being shipped to and from, as well during the repair process. Mind you, I am continuing to pay for my cell service. At the very least I would expect a loner phone to be sent along with a prepaid shipping package I could use to send back a defective Samsung product. Samsung needs to make this right if they ever expect to see me as a customer for any of their products in the future. I am so disappointed in a company and phone I did nothing but brag about, and even persuaded a couple of iPhone user to jump ship.

I hope you can make this right before someone else does, because if you do not I will never buy another product from you again.

Upvote 0
Day three -

It is now a day later and still no resolution to my problem. I continue to get the same answer. Send us your phone and go without service while we fix it. Dealing with Samsung customer service is like dealing with an automated telephone system. Press one for “screw you”. I have asked multiple times for my issue to be escalated and just tell me to review the Samsung warranty information located at a tiny url. I will be sharing my story on 5 more sites today, and will continue to do so until my issue is resolved. Verizon Wireless attempted to help but there options where no feasible. I do not keep an “extra” cell phone and feel as though I should not have too. After everything I have done for this company, as far as recommendations go, it really kills me that this is the way I am treated. I feel as though I am getting the middle finger from my best friend. You can still make this right Samsung; you just need to empower your employees. Customer service is what differentiates one company from another. Based on your declining sales you are not winning the customer service battle.

Upvote 0
I disagree - they have an issue with their phone and they expect me to be with out service while they fix their problem. They should arrange for a loner phone while they fix an issue with their phone. Why should I go with our a phone and pay for service for an issue with their product. If this were an iPhone the issue would be resolved by now, and I would not be inconvenienced.

Upvote 0
But Verizon are responsible for the service... and you decided not to purchase the extra insurance when you bought it from them... which was your decision

You have a faulty product, You send it back, they fix it. That's how warrantys work. They even offered to upgrade your shipping to speed the process up for goodness sake. The sooner you send it back the sooner they fix it. As I said, it looks like the only bottleneck here is called Jack

Upvote 0
All hail Samsung, bow down to them and do as they say! Sorry I am not an Android. Again, if this were Apple we would not be having this discussion. They would have resolved the problem. I believe the solution is inadequate. It is consumers like me that work to improve customer service and not allow ourselves to be kicked in the teeth while we are down.

You know what I find interesting, you are the only person I have run into that takes this position. Everyone I have talked to feel as though it is unacceptable for Samsung to expect me to go with our service for up to two weeks while they fix an issue with their phone. Hopefully by standing up to them it will improve customer service, which by the way is also a known issue with their company.

Upvote 0
All hail Samsung, bow down to them and do as they say! Sorry I am not an Android. Again, if this were Apple we would not be having this discussion.

WARRANTY SERVICE OPTIONS
Apple will provide warranty service through one or more of the following options:

(i) Carry-in service. You may return your Apple Product to an Apple Retail or AASP location offering carry-in service. Service will be performed at the location, or Apple Retail or an AASP may send your Apple Product to an Apple Repair Service (“ARS”) location to be serviced. Once you are notified that service is complete, you will promptly retrieve the Apple Product from the Apple Retail or AASP location, or the Apple Product will be sent directly to your location from the ARS location.

(ii) Mail-in service. If Apple determines that your Apple Product is eligible for mail-in service, Apple will send you prepaid waybills and if applicable, packaging material, so that you may ship your Apple Product to an ARS or AASP location in accordance with Apple’s instructions. Once service is complete, the ARS or AASP location will return the Apple Product to you. Apple will pay for shipping to and from your location if all instructions are followed.

(iii) Do-it-yourself (DIY) parts service. DIY parts service allows you to service your own Apple Product. If DIY parts service is available in the circumstances, the following process will apply.

(a) Service where Apple requires return of the replaced Apple Product or part. Apple may require a credit card authorization as security for the retail price of the replacement Apple Product or part and applicable shipping costs. If you are unable to provide credit card authorization, DIY parts service may not be available to you and Apple will offer alternative arrangements for service. Apple will ship a replacement Apple Product or part to you with installation instructions, if applicable, and any requirements for the return of the replaced Apple Product or part. If you follow the instructions, Apple will cancel the credit card authorization, so you will not be charged for the Apple Product or part and shipping to and from your location. If you fail to return the replaced Apple Product or part as instructed or return a replaced Apple Product or part that is ineligible for service, Apple will charge your credit card for the authorized amount.

(b) Service where Apple does not require return of the replaced Apple Product or part. Apple will ship you free of charge a replacement Apple Product or part accompanied by instructions on installation, if applicable, and any requirements for the disposal of the replaced Apple Product or part.

(c) Apple is not responsible for any labor costs you incur relating to DIY parts service. Should you require further assistance, contact Apple at the telephone number listed below.

Upvote 0
My wife and daughter have iPhone 5s. The iOS upgrade failed on my wifes and she could not use her phone. They brought it to the apple store and walked out same day with a working phone. Apple support is far superior to Samsung and this is why Samsung is loosing market share, especially after the iPhone 6 has been released. Apple goes above and beyond to keep its customers. Look at it's stock. Samsung customer service can not and does not compare, and it should.

I refuse to be an "ANDROID" and believe I am taking the appropriate action that is right for me and for the quality of customer service moving forward.

Upvote 0
My wife and daughter have iPhone 5s. The iOS upgrade failed on my wifes and she could not use her phone. They brought it to the apple store and walked out same day with a working phone.

Yup, because it was immediately obvious that THEIR update was at fault. A telephone (or email) chat carries no such certainty, which is why the device has to be returned for inspection. If found to be faulty it will be replaced under warranty at no cost to you.

I refuse to be an "ANDROID" and believe I am taking the appropriate action that is right for me and for the quality of customer service moving forward.

That's your prerogative. However the manufacturer is only bound, under law, to honour the terms of the warranty offered (which you agreed to by activating the device).

Btw, Samsung have nothing to do, nor do they care about any contract with a network carrier. You purchased the handset from Verizon under contract, therefore it's up to them (VZW) whether they waive charges due to a faulty handset or provide a replacement. Any warranty offered by a manufacturer only pertains to the device.

I understand our frustration, but look at it from the manufacturer's pov.... if they accepted the word of every user who claimed their handset was at fault without checking, how long do you think they'd remain in business?

Upvote 0
The issue is a Samsung issue, the support rep was able to make that determination when she remoted into my phone. I also never implied Samsung had anything to do with the carrier or had any obligation to them. However, in the end they have the means to make this happen the right way. I provided proof that this was a known issue. I spent a good deal of time with a support rep to verify I was having the issue. Bottom line is if Samsung does not take care of this issue in a manner that Apple would (Especially for someone who has spent as much money with them as I have) then I will not spend another dime on any of their products.

If you are ok with settling for sub standard support more power to you, however I would like to see the bar raised a bit. If Samsung does not trust me, then require a deposit for the loner. I am more than happy to leave one.

Upvote 0
Think with Samsung it might depend on what country you're in. Here(China) walk into a Samsung store or Samsung service centre with a duff phone, they'll deal with it straight away, in the very much the same way Apple does. So it appears in the US, it's up to your carrier(Verizon) to supply a loan phone if needed and not the manufacturer(Samsung). Apple is more consistent the world over, they have stores with "Geniuses" in many places, and not dealing with a call centre and some person who's following a script.

Reactions: psionandy and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Mikedt - the support you receive in China compared to the lack of support I receive here in the united states is exactly why I am making a stand! I was one of Samsung's biggest fans before this episode. Look at the difference between Samsung and Apple stock since the launch of the iPhone 6. Now that Apple can do almost as much as an Android can, Android Phone manufacturers need to step up the quality and level of support they provide to compete. If not I will gladly switch to iPhone because the quality of support far outweighs the limitations of the iPhone.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
This isn't a Samsung issue lol
This is a You issue!
Your carrier is responsible for giving you a loner. The person(s) who helped you at Samsung did exactly what they were supposed to do.
This attempt to bash Samsung because you didn't get your way is ridiculous......
I'm not a a Samsung fan boy either, I am someone who can recognize a temper tantrum though......
Sorry your phone needs repaired and you may have to go without, but you are putting the blame in the wrong place.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
We are on Verizon. One time my sons non smart phone had issues at 9 months so it was under the 1yr warranty. Walked into a Verizon store and they ordered him a replacement phone to come to the house. When the replacement came there were instructions on how to send back the broken phone so he was not without service at all. This was a few years ago so not sure if it still works like that on Verizon or what but look into that. Mary

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
This isn't a Samsung issue lol
This is a You issue!
Your carrier is responsible for giving you a loner. The person(s) who helped you at Samsung did exactly what they were supposed to do.
This attempt to bash Samsung because you didn't get your way is ridiculous......
I'm not a a Samsung fan boy either, I am someone who can recognize a temper tantrum though......
Sorry your phone needs repaired and you may have to go without, but you are putting the blame in the wrong place.

How is it a carier issue if it is a manufacturer defect? What you call a temper tantrum I call holding a manufacturer accountable. Therfore putting blame exactly where it belongs. Bottom line they lost my business and support. On to another phone.

Upvote 0
We are on Verizon. One time my sons non smart phone had issues at 9 months so it was under the 1yr warranty. Walked into a Verizon store and they ordered him a replacement phone to come to the house. When the replacement came there were instructions on how to send back the broken phone so he was not without service at all. This was a few years ago so not sure if it still works like that on Verizon or what but look into that. Mary

Thanks, looks like I may have to pursue that solution. Samsung should provide the loner though as it is an issue worn their phone.

Upvote 0
I have found that vendor support is directly related to how "you attack" or "work with" the vendor representative.

Been with Verizon about 20 years, and have seen their service policy drift around some. But it has always been possible to get that policy warped a bit in my favor almost every time I have needed their help.

The printed policy is what the representative will enforce if you attack him/her.
A supervisor's over-ride often comes into play when you work with them and explain what seems to be happening with your phone.

I get a bunch of "supervisor over-rides"
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks, looks like I may have to pursue that solution. Samsung should provide the loner though as it is an issue worn their phone.

I have never gone through the phone maker for a defective phone, always through the carrier because that's who I buy from. If it's less than a year old it has always been covered under a 1yr manufacturers warranty that the carrier has taken care of and if over a year and I have insurance through the carrier use that. If you would have walked into a Verizon store the issue would have been solved quickly. You made it harder than it was to get this fixed. Maybe I am an odd ball but my first thought would not have been to contact samsung but the carrier who I bought the phone from. Mary

Reactions: MLSS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones