1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Orange area on Google Maps navigation

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JBentleyR, Oct 20, 2014.

1. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast

I've noticed, when using Navigation on Google maps, that sometimes a wide, transparent orange line appears over the road I am taking. This sometimes disappears and re-appears. It's particularly noticeable when in Satellite view.

It isn't a problem; I'm just interested to learn what it signifies. Can anyone help, please?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I haven't used Google Maps in a while, but I don't ever recall any orange colouration. The only orage there is signify main highways.

I would normally ask for a screen shot. If you are driving, ask someone to take screen shot of it or pull over and then take a screen shot. That would make it easier to identify what it is that you see.

3. daz_2000

daz_2000 Android Enthusiast

I believe it could be traffic? Orange i think is minor congestion.

4. JBentleyR

Thanks for the replies. No, it is quite different from the normal orange/yellow that signifies slight traffic delays. This is a much wider line, wider than the normal road and traffic situation symbols. What's more, it appears and disappears, sometimes only flashing on for a second or two.

Certainly, I'll try to get a screen-shot next time it happens although I'll have to be quick!

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I recommend that you remove updates and then reinstall. Maps is not normally removable on most Android phones, so all you can do is just uninstall all updates and then update it again. Give that a try and see if it resolves your issue.

6. JBentleyR

Thanks, Stuntman, but I don't really see it as a problem. It doesn't interfere with my use of the map navigation facility at all. It is just an intriguing phenomenon, especially as no-one else seems to have encountered it.

It has occurred to me that it might be related to an indication of available cellular signal which, in many rural places, exists only along major highways.

Next time I use Google Maps whilst driving (it will have to be when my wife is driving, so that I can fiddle with the phone), I'll attempt to get a screen shot when the phenomenon occurs again and post it on here.