• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange area on Google Maps navigation

JBentleyR

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2014
Cheshire
I've noticed, when using Navigation on Google maps, that sometimes a wide, transparent orange line appears over the road I am taking. This sometimes disappears and re-appears. It's particularly noticeable when in Satellite view.

It isn't a problem; I'm just interested to learn what it signifies. Can anyone help, please?

I've noticed, when using Navigation on Google maps, that sometimes a wide, transparent orange line appears over the road I am taking. This sometimes disappears and re-appears. It's particularly noticeable when in Satellite view.

It isn't a problem; I'm just interested to learn what it signifies. Can anyone help, please?

I believe it could be traffic? Orange i think is minor congestion.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. No, it is quite different from the normal orange/yellow that signifies slight traffic delays. This is a much wider line, wider than the normal road and traffic situation symbols. What's more, it appears and disappears, sometimes only flashing on for a second or two.

Certainly, I'll try to get a screen-shot next time it happens although I'll have to be quick!

Upvote 0
Thanks, Stuntman, but I don't really see it as a problem. It doesn't interfere with my use of the map navigation facility at all. It is just an intriguing phenomenon, especially as no-one else seems to have encountered it.

It has occurred to me that it might be related to an indication of available cellular signal which, in many rural places, exists only along major highways.

Next time I use Google Maps whilst driving (it will have to be when my wife is driving, so that I can fiddle with the phone), I'll attempt to get a screen shot when the phenomenon occurs again and post it on here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones