• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Orange branded Desire S root help please !

D

Deleted User

Wow... this s**t is complex isn't it ! I've been reading guides left right & centre and my head is spinning (and I'm a server & network engineer !).

Is there anyone here who could spoon-feed me with what I need to do to get, say, Cyanogenmod onto my Orange branded (locked) Desire S that is currently running Gingerbread and has HBoot 2.00.whatever, and stand a better than evens chance of still having a working phone at the end of it ? :D

I've worked out that in order to flash a new ROM, I need Root, and in order to get Root, I need to downgrade from HBoot 2.00.xxx to 0.98 or somesuch, and in order to downgrade HBoot, I need to flash a new ROM using an RUU. However, because the phone is Orange branded, I need to get an Orange branded RUU, and that I also need the phone to be unlocked ?

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly... etc etc etc :D

I've followed the Gold Card guide and have made myself a Gold Card, though god knows what that's for ! My knowledge of the whole subject ends here. My brain is already full. :D

I've downloaded an RUU called RUU_Saga_Orange_FR-B2B_1.31.73.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_178917_signed.exe

However, I have no idea whether this is what I need, or whether it's as much use as an ashtray for a motorbike.

Surely there must be someone out there in Rooty-land who will offer a poor, confused soul a guiding light ?

Where is my Obi-Wan ?

:D

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones