• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Orange Branded Desire

Hi All,

When searching around about getting rid of the branding on a desire everyone talks about rooting and using some other developers version of android.

Is there no way to just install the proper original stock untouched virgin, HTC desire factory rom on the device. So that my device is as HTC intended.

Why do i have to use some developers rom that has been messed with? Surely thats as bad as having a version that orange have butchered?

Please advise

Cheers
Gav

you don't have to. that's only if you want to root, which gives you access to custom rom's that developers have worked on. if you would like to get rid of the branding, then you can use the goldcard method and flash on the original htc RUU like you said, which will make you eligible to receive the 2.2 OTA update as far as i know. as you're with orange, you'll need to unlock the phone though because when you update, the radio gets updated aswell, and orange are notorious for sim locking the phone when the radio gets updated if the device is sim locked.

hope that helps mate :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones