• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Orange Circle - Facebook Notification Number

tbr5999

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
On the app icons for Facebook and Email, I have orange circles with a number in them showing new emails or Facebook notifications. I want to make the orange FB notifications DISAPPEAR. My belief is that since I see that orange # show up so frequently, with every new comment to a FB post, that my device must be pushing notifications and checking FB every 10 minutes, wearing down my battery. So I would like to end that.

I have already:

1. Gone to App Settings > Refresh Interval and said NEVER
  2. Gone to App Settings > Notifications and choose INACTIVE
  3. Gone to Account Settings > Notifications > Mobile Push and UNCHECKED everything
I have also gone to Device Settings > Applications > Application Manager > Facebook and UNCHECKED Show Notifications.

The same orange circle with number of new emails show on my email icon, but I don't mind that so much. However, if I can disable it, perhaps I can find my way to disable on Facebook.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• unnamed[1].png
    unnamed[1].png
    392.8 KB · Views: 707
  • unnamed[2].png
    unnamed[2].png
    626 KB · Views: 296
  • unnamed[3].png
    unnamed[3].png
    469.2 KB · Views: 278
You need to go to FB on the web with your PC and set your Notifications preferences there. that will stop it altogether.

on my phone, I unstalled both FB and Twitter. both IMO are battery mongers.

But, if you want to keep FB, there is a way to stop it from doing anything while the phone is asleep.
Use MacroDroid to turn off both WiFi and DATA when the screen is OFF.
My wife's S5 battery level right now is 47% and it is on Day #9 since it was charged last. Her S5 is just a telephone (sic) never used for anything else.

My S5 is used more normally and I get 2 and 3 days per charge cycle down to 35-40 percent. MacroDroid controls the DATA and WiFi radios. Phone is sleeping, no internet, therefore no Push Notifications to mess up things.

IMO, if I want to know something on email, or FB, my fingers can do the walking and open each app and it syncs immediately and all that is new is there for me to read.
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns Data ON

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones