• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange data usage. A cock up?????

mark1252003

Dec 2, 2009
I use 3g Watchdog, apparently last month I used a whopping 8.5 gb of data with Orange, i think theres some kind of cock up with Orange because theres no way Ive used that much! My conract is 500mb a month inclusive and unlimited (Thank god) for evenings and weekends, this month alone (Renewed on the 12th) and ive used 600mb already, mmmmmmmmmm :thinking::thinking::thinking: i did a windows update using my phone as a modem last month in the day time which would have come out of the 500mb (200mb for the update) but it came out of the unlimited bundle ! Anybody who is on Orange and calls customer services just becarefull because ive asked them the same thing over a period of time and each time ive had a different answer, the lady said that it might take sometime for the data to be updated on your account even tho it was already updated at silly oclock that morning, Anybody else had similar problems?

I have 500MB usage fair usage on Vodafone but never really use that much. but 8.5 GB of data is just crazy. Do you tether all the time? watch alot of youtube or downloading on your phone etc? :)

Id say 80% I use it as a modem, only download I did was the mentioned 200mb windows update , only a few youtube videos too. Iam going to reset my 3g watchdog and calculate how much i use in a day.

Upvote 0
Tethering can cause large amount of data to be used as the web pages can be quite large, especially downloading stuff and watching youtube. When I first got my orange modem {mobile broadband} I only used it to download SP1 from windows update and a few hours of browsing and when the bill come in they told me 6GB.

unbelievable but true....... They charged me an extra

Upvote 0
Dont use your phone as a broadband modem !! its that simple

Orange unlimited has a fair usage cap of about 2gb. Remember unlimited does not mean unlimited...

if you go over it doing stupid things like windows updates. they will charge you for the amounts over the fair usage limit. why didnt you just wait till you were at home ?

its a phone - not a broadband modem...

people like you ruin it for the rest of us and as a result these crappy limits are imposed... I struggle to even reach 500mb of data transfer on my phone each month...usually its about 250mb

Upvote 0
Dont use your phone as a broadband modem !! its that simple

Orange unlimited has a fair usage cap of about 2gb. Remember unlimited does not mean unlimited...

if you go over it doing stupid things like windows updates. they will charge you for the amounts over the fair usage limit. why didnt you just wait till you were at home ?

its a phone - not a broadband modem...

people like you ruin it for the rest of us and as a result these crappy limits are imposed... I struggle to even reach 500mb of data transfer on my phone each month...usually its about 250mb
I believe O2 completely excludes tethered use from their iPhone data allowances.

Upvote 0

Ive only had this contract for 4 month so I cant see how I can be blamed for some of this, Blame Orange for sayin its OK to use it as a modem as some of the staff do,or whats the point having the option on the phone then?? as for "wait till i get home to do the updates" i dont have internet there only my phone hence why i do it this way!!, as for "crappy limits" even tho its imposed for a 1gb limit all the folk at orange ive spken too have said theyve never heard of anyone getting a telling off for going OTT. So in my rights iam doing nothing wrong!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones