• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Orange Desire - Root or Debrand

Just wondering which is safer.

I hear with debranding you have to be careful with the radio update (using and RUU) causing simlock and wifi issues. What are the best ways to avoid this?

Would it not be simpler to root and put a rooted stock rom on?

Of course future OTA's wont then be received.

Any Orange users have a view on this?

This might make that a thing of the past...

HTC Desire SIM-Unlock Utility - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I de-branded first but @rsed it up slightly as I'd forgotton to take out the sim. Cost a few quid to get the sim unlocked but apart from that I had no issues.

De-branding was great but it did kind of open the door to rooting, and that door is hard to close. Once you know how much more there is to be done with the phone, stopping at HTC stock ROM with Sense and minimal internal memory seems really, well, pointless.

Added to which the latest Orange update failed to install on de-branded phones, so losing OTA updates isn't really a factor now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones