• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange ROM

Can anyone who has updated check to see if you can change the brightness of the display with a widget downloaded from the market? At the moment it changes the brightness but as soon as you go anywhere else the brightness goes back to what is used to be.

That's pretty much the only thing that would want to make me update.

Upvote 0
Can anyone who has updated check to see if you can change the brightness of the display with a widget downloaded from the market? At the moment it changes the brightness but as soon as you go anywhere else the brightness goes back to what is used to be.

That's pretty much the only thing that would want to make me update.

You need to turn off the light sensor. It changes the brightness based on the light outside. Turn it off, then your widgets should work... I think.

Upvote 0
Apart from the people widget, no real difference... Maybe slightly more snappy but still lags from time to time...

Only thing which might have improved is on the network signal side of things (not tried wifi)... think its a bit better at switching between 2G and 3G... In my office there is poor mobile reception so each room is fitted with a signal booster... this is a 2G one so the phone is forever switching from 2G to 3G as my desk is near the window!

Seems to be able to hold the 3G signal better than before (would get it stuck on 3G but with no bars but now is 2 bars) and also switches back and forth better/quicker...

Baseband version is now 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29

Upvote 0
I have just this morning updated to the new ROM and from what I can gather, it has fixed a few bugs that I was having, nothing serious but for example, whilst in the browser and with the phone on landscape mode, if I tried to hit the google search button, the search bar would be all bouncy and jumpy, that is now fixed and fine. Also I used to notice when i received txts it would sometimes stay in the notification bar until i manually cleared the notification bar, this has also been fixed. Dont know if anyone else was having these problems prior to the ROM update, just my own personal findings :)

Upvote 0
I have just this morning updated to the new ROM and from what I can gather, it has fixed a few bugs that I was having, nothing serious but for example, whilst in the browser and with the phone on landscape mode, if I tried to hit the google search button, the search bar would be all bouncy and jumpy, that is now fixed and fine. Also I used to notice when i received txts it would sometimes stay in the notification bar until i manually cleared the notification bar, this has also been fixed. Dont know if anyone else was having these problems prior to the ROM update, just my own personal findings :)

Hmm, I dont have any of those issues, so maybe it was just the hard reset that fixed it.

I think a few things, especially the speed increase from the new rom are simply because its been hard reset. I wonder why they won't tell us whats been fixed.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm new on this forum and fairly new to Android.

I did the ROM update earlier on today. I then had to go about re-installing all the apps I've downloaded since I got it and changing all the preferences which was a real pain.

One thing I've noticed is that when the screen is locked when I press the end key it used to come up with a drag down thing to unlock it. Now it just comes up saying Orange and the time. I now have to press menu to unlock. That isn't too big a deal but I'm finding that quite often it is coming up saying 'Sorry! The process system has stopped unexpectedly. Please Try again.' and then 'HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'

The only way to get off it is to power off and on again.

Anyone else getting this or have any ideas how to fix it?

Update: The slide thing to unlock has returned but it still seems to be trying to force close Sense and buggering up my phone.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the new ROM this morning. After trying on my PC with Windows 7, it wouldn't even detect the phone, coming up with Error 170, and from what I've read, Windows 7 and HTC Hero don't go well together. So I used a PC with XP and that worked absolutely fine. From what I've noticed, the HTC people widget has changed in appearance slightly, and the 3x3 people widget is new. It seems to be slightly snappier, as previously stated, but apart from that nothing major.

The only thing that has bugged me is the fact that my paid apps do not appear in the market, so I cannot re-install my Twidroid PRO, having to settle with Twidroid for now.

Upvote 0
For those people having problems with Win7, can you confirm you are using the latest HTC sync software? The website says the latest January issue has resolved Win7 problems...of course, I don't even have my Hero yet so I can't vouch for it!

Windows 7 does not appear to like the latest HTC sync.
I used windows xp to install the update.

Upvote 0
I think t mobile G2 touch phones have a check for updates option on their phone? Anyone wanna check if the orange hero has this after the update?

settings > about phone maybe :/

Also, can you check if copy-protected apps still show up in the market after the update. eg twidroid pro or papastacker

I just checked the market on my hero after rom update and there is only papa stacker lite and twidroid for twitter showing.
Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones