• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orange SMS Charge

kurtph1969

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
Hi,

I have been on to Orange CS (UK) about this and they weren't much help, so I am hoping someone can shed some light here. I noticed on my bill the other day that I have been charged for what looks like a text to a mobile number (I am on an unlimited text package). The number 07800140082 turns out to be a text back service for First Utility gas/electric company to allow you to submit meter readings via sms. I have checked their website and there is no indication that I would be charged for texting this number. I have also searched the Orange website for details of charges to an 07800 number and found nothing.

Orange's response from 150 was that it is a "mobile number diverting to a land line so I have to pay for it". I have never heard of this before, although I was aware of Premium 07000 numbers a few years back. Is anyone aware of these strange mobile numbers? We could be unwittingly and unknowingly paying for texts thinking that these would come out of inclusive minutes. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones