1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Ordered a Netbook

Discussion in 'Computers' started by LilacBleeds, Sep 16, 2011.

1. LilacBleeds

LilacBleeds Android Enthusiast

I just ordered myself a new netbook, as my laptop's screen has decieded its wants to go all white with multi-coloured lines down and as I know from the work combi oven's screen keeps doing this and the screen lcd panel was fired I have done it to my laptop :(

I have had the laptop since 2008 :( and it was 17.1 inch screen and had a massive 750 mb hard drive and it was an Acer and I actually like Acer and it was a great price too...... It will saddly be missed so in the mean time while I save up for a laptop I have got a netbook as I need something for the internet as I am off work sick and if my mum is on the PC I can't do anything on the internet only by my HTC which kinda gets annoying so I have ordered this:

AcerAspire One Happy D255 10.1 inch Netbook - Lavender

PriceWas

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Cool cool. Netbooks are great fun. Though, if you have the chance (not sure if you can change your order..?) but you may want to look into an 11 inch. I have a netbook with the 10.1 in screen and it seems a bit... cramped. Though, depending on your OS, you can F11 to go full screen. Which really helps.

3. LilacBleeds

There isn't anything I like other than this I don't mind small screens as I am used to small things but its the colour and that anything is better than on my mobile really but I will be happy with and it was in the sale and its the cheapest as I don't have much money so that was a good price

4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

It did look like a good price (though I am not current on by pound to USD conversion rates ;) )

It'll be a huge step up from the mobile phone though, and 10.1 in isn't too bad. Just sometimes it gets a bit crowded.

I forget the name of the site, but there is a site out there with netbook optimized software, which would probably be quite helpful.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

First thing I would do with one of these, is change the OS to Linux Mint or Ubuntu. TBH Windows 7 'Starter' and 'Home Basic' are rather limiting.

I see it also comes with Android 2.1, does it have a touch screen?

6. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

I agree on all counts. 7 Starter is limited in multitasking, 32bit, no Aero, etc. I have no idea why MS created it, XP is superior in every way and will run faster on a netbook. Going a step further, linux as mentioned would be even better.

7. LilacBleeds

When I get it i may ask for help about Linux
    The uk pound to the dollar is something like 1.68 which isnt as good as it used to be but when in the uk i can't find any cheaper ones or ones I like and I loves vista most people hated it but not sure about Windows 7
    And for the person who said is it touch screen I didn't see that part in the description

this is the description

The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is a stylishly compact and impressively lightweight netbook giving you easy access to wireless communications on the move.The Acer Aspire D255 is a versatile netbook designed to suit your lifestyle - surf the net on the comfort of your sofa using WiFi, enjoy social networking, study on the move between lectures or check your business e-mails while travelling on the train. Weighing just 1.25kg - little more than a bag of sugar! - this easily portable laptop computer is equipped with 3 USB ports and a VGA connector for hooking it up to an external monitor.The Acer Aspire D255 netbook also includes the Android 2.1 OS, giving you a quick boot system for rapid internet access - you'll be surfing the web in just 15 seconds!The Acer Aspire D255's 10.1in WSVGA display also lets you enjoy images fine-tuned with the sharpest details and boldest colours - perfect for your digital photos.You can also use the built-in webcam and microphone for face-to-face chats with friends anywhere in the world via Skype.The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is also available in Candy Pink (PH520) and Turquoise (PH519).Useful info:Intel Atom processor N450 (512 KB L2 cache, 1.66 GHz)1GB RAM and 250GB hard drive10.1 inch LED-backlit LCD (1024 x 600) display1.3Mp webcam8 hours battery lifeWireless connectivityIntel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150Acer InviLink Nplify 802.11 b/g/n WiFiMicrosoft Windows 7 Starter and Android 2.1Colour: LavenderAcer Aspire One Happy D255 netbookACER helpline: 0871 760 1000.
    The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is a stylishly compact and impressively lightweight netbook giving you easy access to wireless communications on the move.
    The Acer Aspire D255 is a versatile netbook designed to suit your lifestyle - surf the net on the comfort of your sofa using WiFi, enjoy social networking, study on the move between lectures or check your business e-mails while travelling on the train.
    Weighing just 1.25kg - little more than a bag of sugar! - this easily portable laptop computer is equipped with 3 USB ports and a VGA connector for hooking it up to an external monitor.
    The Acer Aspire D255 netbook also includes the Android 2.1 OS, giving you a quick boot system for rapid internet access - you'll be surfing the web in just 15 seconds!
    The Acer Aspire D255's 10.1in WSVGA display also lets you enjoy images fine-tuned with the sharpest details and boldest colours - perfect for your digital photos.
    You can also use the built-in webcam and microphone for face-to-face chats with friends anywhere in the world via Skype.
    The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is also available in Candy Pink and Turquoise.
    Useful info:
    • Intel Atom processor N450 (512 KB L2 cache, 1.66 GHz)
    • 1GB RAM and 250GB hard drive
    • 10.1 inch LED-backlit LCD (1024 x 600) display
    • 1.3Mp webcam
    • 8 hours battery life
    • Wireless connectivity
    • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
    • Acer InviLink Nplify 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Starter and Android 2.1
    • Colour: Lavender
    • Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

If you 'love' Vista, you'll LOVE Windows 7. It's all the good of Vista and a lot of the bad removed, for a much faster, smoother experience.

9. LilacBleeds

I will see how I get on with it and then go from there

10. LilacBleeds

my netbook has arrived today and loving everything about it at the moment :D

its nice to be able to sit with my mum in the front room and be online too

found the keyboard hard as my old laptop was a 17.1inch screen and can read everything on screen which is good and not been looking at it zoomed in either :D