• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ordered a Netbook

LilacBleeds

Android Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2011
Northamptonshire, UK
I just ordered myself a new netbook, as my laptop's screen has decieded its wants to go all white with multi-coloured lines down and as I know from the work combi oven's screen keeps doing this and the screen lcd panel was fired I have done it to my laptop :(

I have had the laptop since 2008 :( and it was 17.1 inch screen and had a massive 750 mb hard drive and it was an Acer and I actually like Acer and it was a great price too...... It will saddly be missed so in the mean time while I save up for a laptop I have got a netbook as I need something for the internet as I am off work sick and if my mum is on the PC I can't do anything on the internet only by my HTC which kinda gets annoying so I have ordered this:

AcerAspire One Happy D255 10.1 inch Netbook - Lavender

PriceWas

It did look like a good price (though I am not current on by pound to USD conversion rates ;) )

It'll be a huge step up from the mobile phone though, and 10.1 in isn't too bad. Just sometimes it gets a bit crowded.

I forget the name of the site, but there is a site out there with netbook optimized software, which would probably be quite helpful.

Upvote 0
First thing I would do with one of these, is change the OS to Linux Mint or Ubuntu. TBH Windows 7 'Starter' and 'Home Basic' are rather limiting.

I see it also comes with Android 2.1, does it have a touch screen?

I agree on all counts. 7 Starter is limited in multitasking, 32bit, no Aero, etc. I have no idea why MS created it, XP is superior in every way and will run faster on a netbook. Going a step further, linux as mentioned would be even better.

Upvote 0
When I get it i may ask for help about Linux
The uk pound to the dollar is something like 1.68 which isnt as good as it used to be but when in the uk i can't find any cheaper ones or ones I like and I loves vista most people hated it but not sure about Windows 7
And for the person who said is it touch screen I didn't see that part in the description

this is the description

The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is a stylishly compact and impressively lightweight netbook giving you easy access to wireless communications on the move.The Acer Aspire D255 is a versatile netbook designed to suit your lifestyle - surf the net on the comfort of your sofa using WiFi, enjoy social networking, study on the move between lectures or check your business e-mails while travelling on the train. Weighing just 1.25kg - little more than a bag of sugar! - this easily portable laptop computer is equipped with 3 USB ports and a VGA connector for hooking it up to an external monitor.The Acer Aspire D255 netbook also includes the Android 2.1 OS, giving you a quick boot system for rapid internet access - you'll be surfing the web in just 15 seconds!The Acer Aspire D255's 10.1in WSVGA display also lets you enjoy images fine-tuned with the sharpest details and boldest colours - perfect for your digital photos.You can also use the built-in webcam and microphone for face-to-face chats with friends anywhere in the world via Skype.The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is also available in Candy Pink (PH520) and Turquoise (PH519).Useful info:Intel Atom processor N450 (512 KB L2 cache, 1.66 GHz)1GB RAM and 250GB hard drive10.1 inch LED-backlit LCD (1024 x 600) display1.3Mp webcam8 hours battery lifeWireless connectivityIntel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150Acer InviLink Nplify 802.11 b/g/n WiFiMicrosoft Windows 7 Starter and Android 2.1Colour: LavenderAcer Aspire One Happy D255 netbookACER helpline: 0871 760 1000.
The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is a stylishly compact and impressively lightweight netbook giving you easy access to wireless communications on the move.
The Acer Aspire D255 is a versatile netbook designed to suit your lifestyle - surf the net on the comfort of your sofa using WiFi, enjoy social networking, study on the move between lectures or check your business e-mails while travelling on the train.
Weighing just 1.25kg - little more than a bag of sugar! - this easily portable laptop computer is equipped with 3 USB ports and a VGA connector for hooking it up to an external monitor.
The Acer Aspire D255 netbook also includes the Android 2.1 OS, giving you a quick boot system for rapid internet access - you'll be surfing the web in just 15 seconds!
The Acer Aspire D255's 10.1in WSVGA display also lets you enjoy images fine-tuned with the sharpest details and boldest colours - perfect for your digital photos.
You can also use the built-in webcam and microphone for face-to-face chats with friends anywhere in the world via Skype.
The Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook is also available in Candy Pink and Turquoise.
Useful info:
  • Intel Atom processor N450 (512 KB L2 cache, 1.66 GHz)
  • 1GB RAM and 250GB hard drive
  • 10.1 inch LED-backlit LCD (1024 x 600) display
  • 1.3Mp webcam
  • 8 hours battery life
  • Wireless connectivity
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
  • Acer InviLink Nplify 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Starter and Android 2.1
  • Colour: Lavender
  • Acer Aspire One Happy D255 netbook

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones