• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

organising apps

jhob

Jun 29, 2010
I have had my first android phone, an HTC desire, for a few days now and am already finding that the 'All Applications' screen is getting unmanageable due to the number of apps.

I have put my most commonly used apps as icons on the home screens but there's more than will fit there.

What I would like is an app that replaces the 'All Applications' screen and that allows categorising of apps, eg utilities, games, work etc and will also allow me to exclude some apps (like the useless demos installed on my phone that I can't delete). I took a look at the 'App Organiser' app but this does not replace the 'All Application' screen.

Is there an app available that does what I want?

Insofar as I have been able to gather, no :( This was one thing I tried to find since I got my Nexus a couple of months ago. I use app organiser and although it doesn't replace the app drawer but it allows me to organize my apps in my home screen. Basically a good alternative until some Dev actually create an app that organizes the app drawer.

Upvote 0
search the app store for Smart Shortcuts (it's free). Download, install, and thank me later.

Seriously though, I love it, and it pretty much does what you're looking for.

Why is smart shortcut better than app organizer (if you've used it before)? They seem like the same things to me...that is folders organiser on your home screen.

Upvote 0
search the app store for Smart Shortcuts (it's free). Download, install, and thank me later.

Seriously though, I love it, and it pretty much does what you're looking for.

Installed it, love it! Thanks for the tip. It doesn't do exactly as I want but it's close enough. I prefer it to App Organiser, seems more straight-forward to get everything organised.

I created a 'Bin' label to put all the useless apps and demo games that orange install but that I can't remove - a total of 15!

My apps feel a lot more easily accessible now.

Upvote 0
I found smart shortcut easier than app organiser because once I had tagged each app that app would disappear from the 'Other Shortcuts' folder. Overall I found the UI generally easier to use.

I'm very happy with this solution now

Each app in Apps Organizer is placed in Other Apps folder before it gets a diffferent label assigned. The moment you assig an app a label it is removed from Other Apps folder.

Upvote 0
variety is sometimes a good thing, although with android apps there seem to be an awful lot of apps that seem to do exactly the same thing in only subtley different ways, can make it quite confusing to make a choice, and sometimes you just have to make a choice and stick with it.

That said, in this instance there seem to be only 2 competing apps so that's good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones