1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Organising Folders

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Jamander0408, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Jamander0408

Jamander0408 Lurker
    None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    Hey guys, this may sound like a ridiculous/petty question but I was wondering if I could change the location which app files are saved? Android automatically saves certain files to certain folders (e.g.photos save to DCIM, downloads to the download folder, app files to android/data folder). I just wanna know if I can somehow change this? I got app file folders saving in my /sdcard directory when most save to /sdcard/android/data... So I wanna move those stray folders into there but when I do they just reapear next time I open that app so I end up with duplicate folders (1 in directory /sdcard and the other in /sdcard/android/data)

I know it really isn't important but I guess I got some sort of crazy OCD for organization!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    For the most part, those locations can't be changed. If Android or an app put them there, you should leave them there.

The exception is when there are settings within and app (or within android settings) related to file locations. For example BeyondPod lets you choose where to store podcasts and camera may have a setting for internal or external storage. If you can find something like that in settings, then by all means use it. But remember that those file folders belong to their respective apps (or to android)... if you just move the directory in file manager, the app has no way of finding that new directory the next time it tries to read or write to the directory... it expect things to be where it left them.

#2 electricpete, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    girolez likes this.
  3. Jamander0408

Jamander0408 Lurker
    None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for your reply. So there's no way to change the directory of an apps files? Do you know what makes some app files save to sdcard while the majority save to sdcard/android/data? That com.surfeasy folder in my screenshot is bugging the hell outta me o_O

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    The .com.surfeasy folder is a hidden folder. If you deselect "show hidden files" in your file manager, you won't see it any more! ;)

I agree with Electricpete, don't go moving things around unless you use an app's options to do it.

5. Jamander0408

Jamander0408 Lurker
    None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    Thanks (y)

But I will know it's still there :( the com.lloyds one bugs me too, along with a few others, they all belong in the data folder :mad:

I regularly deletes those files but they just reapear eventually. It doesnt usually effect my apps except for the lloyds folder, if I delete that it messes up my online banking app. Do you know what the show_logs & subtitles folders are attached to? Doesn't seem I have any apps which are creating them but they always appear anyway

If there isn't a way to change the directories then it doesn't matter, I was just hoping for a different answer.

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Some apps let you specify where they save their data: go into the app's settings and see whether there is an option. A small number (music players and gallery apps for example) will find all files of a given type wherever you put them. But in most cases if you move the files yourself the app or OS won't know where they have gone; this is almost invariably true where they are app data as opposed to media files.

I don't know what "show_logs" and "subtitles" folders you refer to: I've never seen folders of those names on any of my devices.

7. Jamander0408

Jamander0408 Lurker
    None

Apr 7, 2016
    Male
    Okay, thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to put up with them :(

I guess the show logs & subtitles folders must be related to an app I have if you've never seen them. Thanks again guys!