1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Organizing Icons

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zero260, Jan 4, 2012.

1. zero260

zero260 Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Hey Guys,

I'm from Ontario, Canada and I just got the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE with Rogers. I've only had it for a week so still learning things but I really like the phone and am in the process of customizing and tailoring it to fit my needs.

One of the things I tried doing was organizing my apps into folders for easy access as I don't like scrolling through 7 pages of apps to get to the one I want to use. So I made some folders on my home screen and dragged the appropriate apps into them. All good there (screen shot attached). But now since I don't want duplicate icons I tried deleting the same icons under application but dragging them to the recycle bin but nothing happens. Is there something you are just not able to do? Any tips or advice around this topic?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    That blue icon with the four squares is your app drawer and all apps will be listed there. I don't think the TouchWiz (default Samsung) launcher allows you to organize the app drawer or hide the icons (you can not delete them there), but if you'd like to try an alternate launcher, some will give you that function. You might want to look at ADW, Launcher Pro or Go Launcher.

3. zero260

zero260 Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    What's the advantage of getting one of these themes/launchers? Is it just the look of it because I personally like the default view better. Looks more clean and professional. Majority of the user made themes are choppy and look childish. I just want the functionality of organizing apps inside my app drawer into folders.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    That is exactly one of the advantages. TouchWiz won't give it to you. Alternate launchers will add functionality. Most of them allow you to keep the default look with the added features. You should try them out. They are free and if you don't like them, simply uninstall them.

5. Sword Fish

Sword Fish Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    Pilot
    Calgary, AB
    One thing you have to get the concept of is, the home screens are nothing but shortcuts to your apps in the app drawer. If you delete an app from the app drawer and you have that app displayed on your home screens, it will get deleted from there too. If you delete the shortcut on the home screens, the app will still exist in the app drawer. Make sense?

6. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Think of the SGS2 as a computer. The homescreens is the desktop, while the app drawer is the Program Folder. You do not want to delete any program in the app drawer since that means you remove the app. As for the homescreen, its just shortcuts so that's ok.

If you want to organize the app drawer, you can also put them in folders. Go to the app drawer, tap on the menu and choose edit. You should get option to Add Page and Folder. Just drag the Add folder into the app drawer screen location and you would have a folder. Stay in edit mode, and you can drag any app to any folder you want.

Cheers

zero260 likes this.
  7. Kie

Kie Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Risk and Safety Engineer
    Perth, Australia
    Check out Launch-X. It's great for organising apps on the home screen. You can resize icons and put as many rows and columns of apps as you like. It also has a scroll feature for some Launchers.

Here's a pic of my current homescreen using Launch-X Pro:

[​IMG]

8. zero260

zero260 Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks, I just created folders in my app drawer, that's perfect and exactly what I need.

I tried Go Launcer besides the different widgets that you can use to customize I didn't find any added features

9. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Go Launchers can set screen transition mode, set the number of rows and icons for homescreen and drawer, etc. It has lots of themes like transparent themes for its widgets. You can hide apps you don't want to show. Change the dock row.

TW is lean and smoother. The drawer is great that I can have how many or how little apps I want to show in the app drawer.

I got a few screenshots. Its not as fancy as some others which looks really cool, but I like that I could readjust the number of rows I want to show, change the font size, and have transparent widgets. I have 10 icons in the dock row which you can swype across. It does have its cons, so really up to you. I do like TW and keeps it arrange nearly the same.

Cheers

PS-The screenshot is in PDF because the actual screen shot is too big and I didn't want to go through the hassle of resizing them. Hope it comes out since never did this before

Attached Files: