1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support organizing photos - How??!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by drumsmum, Feb 16, 2011.

1. drumsmum

drumsmum Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    At risk of sounding really dense - I cannot organise the photos in my gallery into albums/directories and it is driving me around the bend! I can't believe it isn't simple as in my much cheaper previous phones. I have tried doing it connected to my PC and put them into named folders but they still didn't appear in my gallery. I even downloaded Astro to organise them - and there were my named folders! But when I try to open new folders on Astro I get an error message saying Directory could not be created. So frustrating! If anyone out there is kind enough to help me, can they explain it really simply? Please??:thinking:

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Media management, or indeed file management in general, is almost non-existent on Android handsets. Creating folders on the memory card, with it mounted as a removable drive, should work - I've done it on mine. I have one top-level "images" folder with several others nested within and all the folders show up individually in the Gallery. Why there isn't a "move" option amongst all the others available when you long-press an image escapes me, though.

I think the device only scans for new media during startup, or when mounting a memory card - try rebooting if you haven't already. Also check Menu-Show/hide albums in Gallery in case your new folders have somehow hidden themselves. It's unlikely but you never know.

drumsmum likes this.
  3. drumsmum

drumsmum Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks Slug, that's really helpful. I'll try again - better go and rescue it from the rose bush outside!!

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Only if it helps solve your problem. ;)

5. Strange_Visitor

None

Dec 12, 2010
    Leeds, UK
    In case there's a glitch with your gallery, you may want to try different image viewing software.

JustPictures! (which I use) and QuickPic are both very good and they also let you sort pictures within albums by filename (something the Gallery doesn't allow for some bizarre reason).

Same as Slug for putting pics on my phone, I just drag folders into the Photo folder on my SD card using Windows Explorer (with phone attached by USB cable of course). Although your viewer should find all compatible images on your card wherever you store them.

The only other possibility I can think of is that your SD card isn't properly formatted or not recognised correctly by your phone, or there is some corruption.

Tags: