• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Orientation / Accelerometer Problems

ok guys well this is not a myth! My droid did auto rotate on the home screen, contacts, and during phone calls.

I had a problem with it power cycling on its own so i recieved a brand new replacement today through Fedex that doesnt auto rotate on screen, contacts, or phone calls!!!!

I wanna keep my old one!!! but it power cycles on its own!!! ah!!!!

Have read from a motorola forums rep that this was part of the prerelease software, but that there are no phones with the prerelease software that were sold. (well they were not supposed to be)

I believe that if you have a phone that was made week 40 and below then there is a good chance of the auto rotate working on home screen (prerelease software). My old phone was made on week 40/2009 and new one on wekk 43/2009. You could find this info under your batter below the third bar code.

Hopefully motorola makes this autorotate possible on update #1 coming on DEC. 11!!

I have build week 40 and my phone never rotated the home screen...FWIW

Upvote 0
If you get the program that allows the media dock software to run without the dock and then hit the house icon in the app you will get a landscape orientation for the homescreen.

i will have to try this one out...but the problem is not just with the homescreen...it is also with the contacts, phone calss and lock screen. but nice alternative if it works well.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's the deal: the home screen definitely has a capacity to rotate when accelerometer says it should.

Enter the charging dock. When your phone is in charging dock, it is supposed to be locked to landscape. Use DockRunner app or put a magnet in the right spot - and on the screen, tap home icon, your home screen is perma-landscape, and will not auto-rotate. Remove magnet or run DockRunner again - and you are back to a portrait-only home.

I think you're onto something. I was using my phone tonight while charging it (not in a dock, just using the mini-USB-charger) and the accelerometer didn't seem to be working very well. Maybe it does not work well while phone is being charged in dock or otherwise?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hows everyone doin...Well ive been reading on the problem or situation.and Well I could have promised that my phone at first would switch to landscape view as well..but then as i tried it again, and it didnt.. But now it does. and im sure it's because i downloaded home++ which is for a diferent home interface.. Like Pandahome, GDE, Ahome, etc.. When i switch it back to the normal home view, it wont rotate to landscape view, but in Home++, it will.. here are some pictures of proof. i used a jordan card (For proof of no movement of phone) to show i did not take pics of the phone from different angles..

ad11.jpg

ad12.jpg

ad13.jpg

ad14.jpg

So..if you would like this benefit again..switch to home++ if you like it..im not sure if ahome, GDE, Pandahome, etc.. does it for you though. hope this helped out.

Reactions: shredhildebrand
Upvote 0
Yeah? You should listen to your own words. The home screen doesn't rotate to landscape. I don't care if someone posted a picture, you can fake that easilly if it's taken at the right time. Until someone posts a video, everyone here who's saying "oh noes it used to work!" is wrong in my opinion.

EDIT: I see it was you that did it. Post up a video man? We're all waiting.

<Shredhildebrand>Hey bro how bout you stop being a dick. My homescreen flipped without the keyboard open too and so has a lot of other peoples so maybe you should stop being mean and understand the possibility:) thanks bro

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones