• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Original 7": short battery life?

I really like the Galaxy over the iPad, but I have noticed it has some wicked short battery life - so I'm wondering if I can nail down the culprit with a little help from the forum.

By short, I mean I typically charge it overnight, then play a little Words and check mail and Twitter in the morning before work (15 minutes, tops) - only to come home from the office some 10 hours later to 20% battery remaining.

Here are my settings:
-Froyo
-WiFi only with GPS, BT, 3G off
-Brightness only about 25% (but with the powersave mode 'off' on the screen to get whiter whites)
-ADW Launcher (with Steampunk theme)
-Sync on but only once an hour or so

Hope I can get some useful tips here.

well, it says Twitter is using the most by far. I realize now there is no option to set how often Sync is supposed to work (i must have imagined the 1hr setting). I suppose I assumed this tab would have the multi-day battery life of the iPad, especially with its smaller screen. It's not a dealbreaker, but I'd like to maximize it where I can. I'll look into Tasker to turn off wifi at certain times of day if needed, and see if turning off constant sync helps at all.

Upvote 0
well, it says Twitter is using the most by far. I realize now there is no option to set how often Sync is supposed to work (i must have imagined the 1hr setting). I suppose I assumed this tab would have the multi-day battery life of the iPad, especially with its smaller screen. It's not a dealbreaker, but I'd like to maximize it where I can. I'll look into Tasker to turn off wifi at certain times of day if needed, and see if turning off constant sync helps at all.
Twitter is the most unstable app by far that I've used. I deleted it altogether and my Tab has run smoothly ever since. No more nonsense about restarting the machine before I could play MP3 or AVI files.

If you're away for 10 hours, you can stop Twitter and WiFi until you come back. My guess is that you'll have more like 75% battery. If that doesn't work, try deleting Twitter completely. I found it so flakey as to be useless anyway.

HTH

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones