1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Original 7": short battery life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PrimoOptimoso, Oct 4, 2011.

1. PrimoOptimoso

PrimoOptimoso Member
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    I really like the Galaxy over the iPad, but I have noticed it has some wicked short battery life - so I'm wondering if I can nail down the culprit with a little help from the forum.

By short, I mean I typically charge it overnight, then play a little Words and check mail and Twitter in the morning before work (15 minutes, tops) - only to come home from the office some 10 hours later to 20% battery remaining.

Here are my settings:
    -Froyo
    -WiFi only with GPS, BT, 3G off
    -Brightness only about 25% (but with the powersave mode 'off' on the screen to get whiter whites)
    -ADW Launcher (with Steampunk theme)
    -Sync on but only once an hour or so

Hope I can get some useful tips here.

Advertisement

2. L8AGIN

L8AGIN Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    maryland
    Honestly that doesn't sound all too bad. I charge mine every night too. maybe turn off wifi when you don't need it at work? Have you checked to see if a particular app is draining your battery?

3. PrimoOptimoso

PrimoOptimoso Member
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    well, it says Twitter is using the most by far. I realize now there is no option to set how often Sync is supposed to work (i must have imagined the 1hr setting). I suppose I assumed this tab would have the multi-day battery life of the iPad, especially with its smaller screen. It's not a dealbreaker, but I'd like to maximize it where I can. I'll look into Tasker to turn off wifi at certain times of day if needed, and see if turning off constant sync helps at all.

4. L8AGIN

L8AGIN Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    maryland
    I gave up maximizing. I have a charger everywhere i usually am, home, work, car, etc. I just plug it in and enjoy it. I know thats not a real solution, but that's how i get by.

5. Beeblebrok

Beeblebrok Lurker
    None

Nov 11, 2011
    Twitter is the most unstable app by far that I've used. I deleted it altogether and my Tab has run smoothly ever since. No more nonsense about restarting the machine before I could play MP3 or AVI files.

If you're away for 10 hours, you can stop Twitter and WiFi until you come back. My guess is that you'll have more like 75% battery. If that doesn't work, try deleting Twitter completely. I found it so flakey as to be useless anyway.

HTH

6. PrimoOptimoso

PrimoOptimoso Member
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Well hell - turning off autosync has given me literally days and days of battery life. Words with Friends still syncs, actually - i guess it's a push notification - but I just refresh mail and twitter whenever I pick it up and am using it. It's perfectly fine with that.