1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips original bionic extended battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by supertechy, Dec 15, 2011.

1. supertechy

supertechy Lurker
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    So I was totally aware of the extended battery being an option on this phone at the time of purchase and I'm now trying to find a quick good deal on this thing. The question I have is this: On ebay I find plenty of well priced sets (I need 2), but I do notice the options are very different. They have like 3 different ones, a 2700 mAh, a 4000 mAh and a 4200 mAh. What is the difference, and what are the risks not purchasing it directly from the manufacturer? Will one of those "cheapos" mess up my phone? sorry this is so long, I searched for quite some time and could find nothing on this particular topic.

Advertisement

2. NoNoBadDog

NoNoBadDog Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Veterinary Technician
    Pearl City, HI
    First, the higher the mah rating, the longer it will power your phone per charge. That said, you have to be very careful when shopping for batteries. There are only a couple of reliable brands, but many that are not. You may get a battery that does not deliver anywhere near the mah rating claimed. You may get a lead acid battery that is not designed to work in either the phone or the charger. You may get a battery that is not designed properly, not vented properly, and can become a fire hazard. Keep in mind "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". You can ignore the endorsement in the ad...they are either completely fictitious, or if they are written by real people, they were paid to write a positive review.

Thom likes this.
  3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    ... and the bad ones can result in you experiencing the wonderful BSOD (black screen of death) where it just goes totally dead and responds to nothing until you manually do a reset.

Recommend that you stick with the OEM extended battery and avoid the trouble.

... Thom

4. smfoley1

smfoley1 Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    I got the motorola extended battery from verizonwireless.com about 2 weeks ago. Price says $49.99 but when you get to check out it was $24.99. Not sure if this is still on sale but its worth a shot before getting some aftermarket battery. I looked into those on ebay and amazon. Many reviews said that he battery wasnt even close to the listed man and some wouldnt even charge

SNeitzel likes this.
  5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    I did the math at another forum. For the price of the Mugen 4000 mAh battery, I can get 4 Motorola 2880 mAh batteries from VZW. Since I have an external battery charger, I can always be charging a battery so it will be ready when the current battery finally dies. On light to moderate use, I get 36+ hours of battery life per extended battery.

So, with the charger, and the 4 batteries I would not have, I would have almost a full weeks worth of battery charge (6 days) without ever plugging my phone into a charger. For the Mugen batteries to be worth $100 I'd have to get 72 of battery life from each of them - and I'm betting even money that says that they will not last that long.

Of course, I opted to save $50 and only get 2 of the OEM extended batteries, but still.

HTH

6. shanny871

shanny871 Member
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Can anyone tell me if you can use the standard charger with the extended battery? Also can I use a charger with specs that vary from the output of 5.1 v and 850ma on either the standard or extended battery? Say 5 v 1000ma?