1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Original Volt and Volt 2.... Rom Compatible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zphyrtec, Sep 28, 2015.

1. zphyrtec

zphyrtec Lurker

I looked at the specs and the differences between the original Volt and the Volt 2 aren't many with the exception that the Volt 2 comes stock with Lollipop. Has anyone looked into flashing an original Volt with a Volt 2 rom to see if it works. Seems to me if it does, we could use the Volt 2 rom to cook up all sorts of new fully compatible roms.

Advertisement

mjhealy1978 likes this.
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #16 by kwknott, Nov 13, 2015 (1 points)
  3. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Android Expert

I agree with your idea kind sir, but its already busy and the devs are stretched thin..

mjhealy1978 likes this.
  4. zphyrtec

zphyrtec Lurker

I need to learn more about developing so I can be of assistance.

mjhealy1978 likes this.
  5. timmyh318

timmyh318 Android Enthusiast

Its really not as simple as that. For example ill use the moto g. The original moto g and the second gen actually had the exact same chipset and everything. You could not flash second gen firmware on the first gen g.

6. spock1104

spock1104 Android Expert

It's a good thought but no, going from the volt 2 to the volt would be difficult. The SOC is a different generation, we need phones that are running msm8226, msm8626, or msm8926

#5 spock1104, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  7. whoshotjr2006

whoshotjr2006 Android Enthusiast

Yup. Volt has the msm8926 chipset (msm8226 with lte radio, that's why it's msm8926) and the volt 2 has the msm8916 chipset. Not gonna work, but if someone can pull a volt2 stock system image I can see what I can do about modding the stock kernel to see about lg lollipop for the volt.

8. adamhos1234

adamhos1234 Android Expert

Would love to see lg lp on the volt

mjhealy1978 likes this.
  9. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

My volt2 is on the way back from LG repair. Should be here tomorrow. Gonna pull a system dump as soon as I get it back to try a unbrick method I found so I'll post a link to it here.

Curtis1973 and ScarletRooter like this.
  10. spock1104

spock1104 Android Expert

Our best bet would be to grab the kernel source for the L90, compile it for the Volt, then tweak the L90's ROM to work with ours. Biggest question here is that the L90 is GSM, so how much of it would work, and if it didn't work right away would be be able to replace enough of the ROM to make it work?

Source: I just got done doing similar for the ZTE AWE from the Warp 4G, but that was from CDMA to CDMA.

dvdavid888 and mjhealy1978 like this.
  11. spock1104

spock1104 Android Expert

[​IMG]

I just downloaded the D41520a source code, and the x5 config is still there. Looks like I have a project for the weekend. Join me on IRC! ;)

Translation: LG gave us what we need to make a "stock" Volt LP kernel

12. spock1104

spock1104 Android Expert

13. The Optimus L90 for T-Mobile (Basically the Volt without NFC, LED backlit touch keys and a notification light) already got a Lollipop OTA update. if anyone has one of those devices it might be possible to reverse engineer the stock ROM a bit to make it work on the Volt. As far as I know they both use the same SOC.

dvdavid888 and mjhealy1978 like this.
  14. where's the link I? For the unbrick I have an lg volt 2 I tried to root it with king root said success I didn't use a root checker though went to replace king root with supersu me it said it updated bins and then said to restart so I did restart it it then it got stuck on the lg loading screen I can access the recovery mode with the button combo the only thing that seems to work on there is power down I also tried installing a the android lollipop v4.zip for that specific phone and it said E: wrong footer and E: signature failed any suggestions?

15. ShapeShifter499

ShapeShifter499 Android Enthusiast

Has anyone tried this? Maybe it would work as a drop in replacement on @Bad_MOFO_33's CM 12.1 rom?

ChangeOfJinzo and dvdavid888 like this.
  16. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

I've did some gsm to cdma on the htc one v. But they were both identical devices except one being gsm and the other cdma. Was just a matter of swapping in to the gsm roms proper modem support and configuring the build.prop to cdma settings.

Edit: OLD...OLD thread. Basic swap guide gsm to cdma. Not sure its relevant here but never can tell. We used it interchangeably gsm to and cdma to. Like I said though it was on same device type.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2362137

Edit 2: looks like the guide is still helpful to same device types of today like htc one m8. Although guy is getting the roaming indicator it does not effect use. Never did figure out how to get rid of it.....

#15 Curtis1973, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  17. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

I actually just got my volt2 back earlier this week. Had to end up sending it back a 2nd time the day after I got it back as it wouldn't activate.

I have a system image pulled and will get it uploaded. Once I get it uploaded I'll post instructions in Volt2 thread on flashing it with dd thru download mode. I've actually tested it to verify it works. If your system partition is borked it should get you back up and running. The system.img is 2.5gb.

18. OK I don't think I can get into do mode though just recovery adb and install zip from sd card at accessible maybe we can use one of those?

dvdavid888 likes this.
  19. ScarletRooter

ScarletRooter Well-Known Member

I looked into the LG Sources and I found some sources for The LG Volt 2 (LS751) Here http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=ls751

If you or any other dev wants to mess with it

SykkNyzz likes this.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews