1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General OS Question for those who are the early adopters...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WTF, Jul 7, 2011.

1. WTF

WTF Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Mile High City
    I currently have an original Droid X that I like but have been very curious about the Droid 3 - I miss having a keyboard which is one of the reasons I'm interested in this latest offering. Its my understanding that the Droid 3 is coming with Gingerbread as its out-of-the-box OS, and I'd like to know how well it works from those who have gotten it early.

As you may or may not know, the GB OTA for the DX has been halted because of complaints regarding everything from battery life to multiple resets - I've decided to stay on my current rooted OC/UV Froyo build until I hear that the GB issues have been worked out, which may take a while.

It would be interesting to know if GB on the D3 can be downgraded [upgraded?] to Froyo if there are as many issues with it as has been reported for the DX. Perhaps a Dev or TBH-type can answer this if its looking like it'll be a help...

Regardless, it will be interesting to hear from those who have the Droid 3 - How does GB perform?

TIA!:D

Advertisement

2. aostang

aostang Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    No, since Motorola never made a Froyo ROM for it, and I don't see any devs taking the time to do so.

3. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I loved Gingerbread on my X. I never had any issues with it.

4. aostang

None

Apr 14, 2011
    I never had a single problem with GB on my X1, either. Ran far better than Froyo in every aspect, and I was on every iteration of GB since the very first leak all the way through .596.

5. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Gingerbread never caused an issue for me on my x or my droid 1 for that matter ;)

6. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    ...first i've heard of the DX GB build getting halted. you sure your not referring to the D2G?

7. WTF

WTF Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Mile High City
    Sorry my bad...I think Vzw has postponed GB for some of their other phones because of all the complaints about issues with it in the DX. Here is the article:

Motorola Gingerbread updates full of bugs

Now I need some coffee...:D

8. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I've got 3 X's at home. They are all running the GB update. No complaints yet :)

9. aostang

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Ironic with this post, I was with my sister last night and the GB update never got pushed to her phone. I went in and manually checked and it downloaded and applied the update. After a reboot the phone completely hung at a black screen with the task bar at the top for 30 minutes after booting and getting to the homescreen. Nothing would respond, not even the power button. After a battery pull and boot back up, everything was ok after another 5-10 minutes of lag at the home screen with the 3G icon stuck on upload and download. I figured it was doing updates to the software from the market perhaps. Unfortunately, over the course of the next 5-6 hours her phone would completely lock up doing various normal tasks (text messaging, simply launching the browser or opening the camera) and would stop responding until another battery pull. She's never been rooted and doesn't have anything out of the ordinary installed and has had the phone since a few weeks after launch with ZERO problems until the GB update was applied.

So.. I can attest with my own eyes that I've seen the GB update completely screw a previously wonderful phone.

10. oldlefty

oldlefty Lurker
    None

Jul 14, 2011
    Environmental
    Oswego, NY
    Newbie question- when Ice Cream Sandwich comes out will that automatically update/upgrade/replace the OS on the Droid 3?

11. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    After Motorola modifies it to add Blur and then after VZW modifies it to add all their bloatware. Granted the specs match the requirements as well (I've never seen the requirements for ICS so I'm not sure).

Regardless, it will be awhile

12. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have used the heck out of the D3 to try and stress it to do something silly (like the reboots, audio pops and lag of the DX2) but have (so far) not been able to make the D3 choke.

Heavy Flash sites, higher def video, and installation of 150 apps and still a smooth, non audio pop and lag free device. I am so used to something going wrong with Android devices that I am paranoid, so still will not get a false sense of security.

So far, the Gingerbread and Blur mix (IMO) rock on the D3 and not a memory allocation issue in sight.

13. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    The only thing that bothers me about the phone is in the background. The battery stats have that high idle time and standby time. Might be nothing, but still haha. Other than that I feel like I got another X (with a keyboard). That was the best Android phone i had ever owned. Motorola is ahead in this race IMO

14. aostang

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Once they fix the camera app (known issues), I'll be 100% happy.