1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

OS Update (Android 10)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BrickHouse, Sep 27, 2020.

1. BrickHouse

BrickHouse Android Enthusiast

Received the update a few days back. UI (user interface) looks good, a few new handy features. However I am beginning to regret accepting the update. Previously under normal use (for me/ heavy for others) I would use 20 - 35 percent of my battery with a full day of use (10 - 13 hrs). Now I use 70 - 90 percent in 2 - 3 hrs.

peter shahma likes this.
  2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Have you tried looking to see what is using the power? It might be one app that needs reinstalling or something similarly simple, so I'd definitely try to identify the cause before doing anything more radical.

Otherwise it might be worth considering backing up everything and doing a factory reset. It's a hassle, but can sometimes help with things like this. The thing is that installing a new major OS version over an existing one isn't a clean process: there may be data or settings that aren't really compatible with the new version, and cause things to misbehave. It's not that common, which is why the manufacturers don't force everyone to reset (would not be popular!), but everyone's phone has a different set of stuff on it, which makes it hard to spot all such problems in testing, and occasionally these things do happen. So a reset is one of the standard things to try if you get strange behaviour after an OS update.

(It's also conceivable that this is normal for Android 10 on the Stylo 5, but only if LG did no testing whatsoever before releasing it).

lunatic59 likes this.
  3. peter shahma

peter shahma Lurker

Remove unnecessary apps. Check which are the apps run in background.
    My personal experience suggest that Lg stylo 5 is somehow older model while. Android 10 latest operating system. Hardware of lg stylo does not designed for android 10.
    Check which apps taking more battery power. Force stop those apps.

4. BrickHouse

Been through ALL that and more. First thing I do with any OS update is go through the settings to check for new and/or deleted or altered settings panels and find what settings (preferences) I had set that weren't retained. Stopped many background processes (again) and cleaned up the install files. Halted background data use (again) for many apps and cleaned the cashe (as usual after I install any update) and reset limitations for various apps. I'm looking at the newer UI being incompatible with the outdated launcher I prefer. Haven't much opportunity to check the phone in standby much as I use it intensely. I've Been looking for a newer launcher with the features I use for a few years to no avail.

I just wanted to share a potential issue with the update.

If we can unlock the boot loader I'd Be tempted to dig in and hunt for conflicting code.

#4 BrickHouse, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  5. Hadron

VIP Member

But have you done the simple thing of checking which apps are drawing excess power? You don't mention that in your list of tests.

6. BrickHouse

That's part of the process of checking everything in the settings (preference) panels. Usually found within the battery tab.

7. BrickHouse

Update:
    Was able to check the standby use of the battery today. Normal usage there (roughly 1 - 2 percent for the day) so that causes me to lean more towards a possible UI issue.

I might need to step up my search or (crud I hope not) simply abandon my preferred launcher.

8. Hadron

VIP Member

If it was the launcher wouldn't you expect that to show up as a power drain?

9. BrickHouse

I would at that. Seems to happen only when in use. I've been able to minimize the drain now (through all the tactics described in the previous notes) with noticeable results, though still not getting the useable time I've come to anticipate from this phone. Yesterday was odd (in the sense that I was able to let the phone stay idle several hours) and that helped with figuring out what could be at hand.

I'll keep tinkering and maybe try a few modern launchers. Watch for updates.

10. BrickHouse

Update:
    Seems I needed to open every app so the OS could “update (optimize)” each app. Full day of use on a single charge again. Though still not the same as before, I still expected more use even with the fact that it’s an overlaying install.

LG Stylo 5 Forum

The LG Stylo 5 release date was June 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 450 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

June 2019
Release Date
Reviews