• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OTA + Root = Phone won't start up.

That is the stock recovery screen. You should be able to hit the volume keys simultaneously and it'll bring up the recovery menu. This is not the same as CWM recovery.

You should be able to download the OTA onto your SD card and run the OTA from the SD Card from this recovery screen. I can't seem to find the OTA anywhere on Moto's website. There are links to the leaked 5.5.893 which should be the same as the OTA.

Reactions: iammedan
Upvote 0
tried again got

assert failed: mounta("ex3", "MTD", "System"."/system")
e: error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(status 7)

Sounds like you ae missing some files or apps that the ota is looking for to validate the update. You are going to have to use the dhacker restore method.

Reactions: iammedan
Upvote 0
Might be a long shot but there's an 5.5.999 update floating about. I know it's not an OTA but it might be a fix for those who failed with the 5.5.893 update. It could be or it could not be. Use this at your own risk. I am not asking you to try this. Try to restore all your files and try the OTA again.

I am not responsible for any damages to your phone so follow this link at your own risk:

http://androidforums.com/bionic-all-things-root/467218-5-5-999-leaked-update.html

Upvote 0
At least you can revert back after a failed OTA. I think you may not be the only one with this problem. Might be a small crowd but it might be your phone that is having issues. Might need to get a replacement as that's what it seems VZW is doing for those that can't get the OTA working. There seems to be a 5.9.991 OTA on the horizon too but it requires 5.5.893.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a 5.9.991 OTA on the horizon too but it requires 5.5.893.

Is that for sure or surmised?

I'm on 5.5.893 and have not received 5.9.901.

From the numbers it would seem that this might be the "catch up" update that gets everyone back on track.

I'm waiting to hear from anyone with 5.7.893 to see how it worked for them.

Do you have any information?

... Thom

Upvote 0
Talk of this 5.9.991 is going all over different forums. It's not just 1 or 2 users. Many people are reporting this 5.9.991 OTA. There's one person on this forum that had the OTA pushed on his wife's Bionic. His phone is however on 5.7.893 and didn't get the notice nor was able to get the update. I believe Moto is trying to sneak this OTA under the radar. I dunno how they are dispersing this OTA. You may get it later on or you may not. It's not widely spread just yet.

So far all the 5.7.893 users were getting failures on getting 5.9.991 to work on their phones. Some have tried to revert back to the 5.5.886 system. I believe some devs are looking at the files and trying to determine what it is checking prior to failing. I read that P3Droid might be involved so hopefully we get something to get those of us on 5.7.893 back on the correct path.

Upvote 0
When 5.5.893 went into soak test they pushed it to a few other people. Two days later it was pushed to everyone.

What is happening today seems (to me) to be quite similar. Push it to a few people and if it holds up push it to everyone.

There is no announcement yet on the Verizon website that it is available. The website is still touting 5.5.893.

... Thom

Upvote 0
When 5.5.893 went into soak test they pushed it to a few other people. Two days later it was pushed to everyone.

What is happening today seems (to me) to be quite similar. Push it to a frew people and if it holds up push it ot everyone.

There is no announcement yet on the Verizon website that it is available. The website is still touting 5.5.893.

... Thom

I just read up more on the update. It may appear to be a soak test as the update installs a new 911 app. Some are suggesting that they are testing in a specific region.

Has there been any news coming from VZW or Moto about this yet? I just ready through all 10 pages, and did some google searching, and still can't find anything about this.

Also, I wonder if this push is specific to a geographic area. I read some posts about the 911 alert app, and I believe those tests are being carried out in limited geographic areas across the US.

So the rest of you guys on 5.5.893 should hopefully see an OTA soon and hopefully get much better data signal as some are reporting. For us on 5.7.893 it's still a waiting game til someone can figure things out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones