1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support OTA Sideload error 'no device found' using Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Uncle Lunchbox, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Uncle Lunchbox

None

Mar 26, 2016
    Male
    Hey guys,

I'm no stranger to Android but, I'm dealing with my first Nexus. So far, pblbplbplbpblpltlttt!!! Ordered & received it in January. Transferred data from my Droid Maxx just fine. Received my January OTA. Then nothing after that. So here I am, in late March with no Feb OTA, no March OTA. So I have to sideload, fine. Downloaded Android SDK. Copy adb & fastboot along with Feb OTA zip file into a separate folder. Hookup Nexus 6p to Macbook Pro (Running El Capitan). Navigate to correct folder using terminal window. Execute a ./adb devices command to certify that it's reading my phone, everything checks out. Great. Run ./adb reboot recovery command, phone reboots to recovery mode, I select Apply update from adb & phone askes for sideload zip. So I enter the command ./adb sideload blah-blah.zip aaaaaaaand sh!t. no device found. I execute the ./adb devices command at this time, & whadda ya know... sh!t no device connected... wtf. USB debugging is on. I'm using MTP protocol under Networking. Two hours & I'm tired of this, & now I'm on a forum. Anyone have an idea?

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to our AndroidForums, @Uncle Lunchbox :).

On first read of your description, everything seems/looks spot-on to me. However, I do see what I think is a non-intuitive step #13 shown in this web page:

where it has you disconnect the device from the USB cable prior to entering recover mode (and reconnecting it a few steps later).

I've actually only done the sideload a few times myself, so I'd be inclined to try following the steps those guys have outlined above (there's gotta be a good reason for the disconnect and it kind of fits with what I think you're seeing).

Worth a shot!

Cheers :).

3. Uncle Lunchbox

None

Mar 26, 2016
    Male
    Dude! Pure genius!! That worked!!! The only thing I did differently, was run the ./adb reboot recovery command while tethered then, unplugged it. Didn't want to have to do all the button pushing. As soon as it rebooted I received an system update message for March security update. Here's to hoping my finger pad still works after this update.... Hahaha! Thanks again Scary Alien!

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy