• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Did anyone do the OTA update today? I rolled back to unrooted stock and installed it, and here are a few things different that I and others have noticed:

1. All the themes in the theme chooser are gone! (Kinda bad i guess)
2. The big weather widget is now missing the cool graphics and animation. (bad, 'cuz i liked that a lot)
3. The HBOOT is now unsupported by the Revolutionary root method... i haven't even managed to gain temp. root yet. (Definitely bad)
4. Possibly new data gathering software, according to a dev. on XDA who looked at the update package. (Definitely potentially bad, as most people don't want that stuff on their phones)
5. Hopefully some good stuff! Actually it looks like possibly a new radio and updated kernel.
6. Other stuff i'm sure. Hopefully the missing themes and weather widget animation were an accident that will soon be corrected.

It does look like i could perhaps roll back to the original factory firmware, and then re-root, etc. The reason for this is because i accidentally still had the PC59IMG.zip on my sdcard when i booted into the new bootloader, and it read the package and asked if i wanted to update. The HBOOT has a new version # and says *locked*, but also still says S-OFF.

update: not everyone is reporting the loss of the themes, just some people. and i seem to be the only one so far to have lost the animation in the big weather widget. also i have all the stock ringtones, but some people are saying some or most of them are gone after the update..... weird!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones